GUSA Presidential Candidates Questionnaire

Timothy Brown (COL ’09) and Dale Sevin (SFS ’09)

In only one sentence, identify what you think is the most significant and pressing issue at Georgetown that your presidency would address.

Our campaign sees the lack of involvement of the student body in the decision-making processes of the university as the most pressing issue concerning Georgetown.

In what ways is your ticket most qualified/suited to be the next GUSA leaders?

We believe that we are two dynamic individuals who work well with others. The GUSA president’s role is to fight for the rights of the student body. We believe our passion and dedication makes us the best candidates in the election. It is our love of Georgetown, both the student body and the campus, which has compelled us to toss our hats into the ring. This immense love would guide us in all our decisions ensuring that the Georgetown we all know and love is preserved for future Hoyas.

What do you see yourself doing differently from GUSA leaders who have come before you?

Unlike other GUSA leaders we would like to bring the entire student body into the decision making process here at Georgetown. The one goal as GUSA president and vice-president would be to empower the student body. We believe that previous GUSA administrations and university officials have not gone far enough in including the entire student body in the decision making process. In order to rectify this problem, we intend to enact campus-wide referenda on all policies which would ensure the entire student body’s voice is heard. These referenda would permit greater dialogue between the university’s administration and the student body.

D.W. Cartier (COL ’09) and Andrew Rugg (COL ’09)

y presidency would bring transparency and increased communication between the GU administration and students in order to produce fruitful policy changes and program implementation.

We believe that each person running has strong leadership qualities. Each student has proved himself to be qualified candidates in his own area of influence. But the difference is where the direction that we want to take it. Each year campaigns produce laundry lists of ideas that turn into an inventory of broken promises once they are elected. Instead, we simply want to make GUSA more interactive, fun and accessible to the average student.

Electing the student president is sometimes like making a friend at NSO. At first it’s great and exciting. But after classes start, you never see that person again. We see ourselves working harder in establishing constant visibility back to the presidency, and after this we see ourselves working harder to build a relationship across different organizations on campus.

David Dietz (COL ’10) and Tyler Stone (COL ’09)

The need both GUSA and the student body have for leadership that bridges the divide between students and the administration, and that works hard to unite student groups and empower all Hoyas to make the most of their time at Georgetown.

Dietz: We bring both inside knowledge of GUSA and outside experience in student organizations. I’ve worked with Ben and Matt, the current president and vice president, on bringing wireless and cable to campus. I’ve served over the past year on the College Academic Council. I’ve worked with all kinds of students, and I can be a voice for those who had previously not been interested in GUSA. I aim to build connections between groups and motivate a sense of common cause across our university.

Tyler: I worked for Senator Barack Obama’s (D-Ill.) presidential campaign for more than a year, organizing students in Washington and North Carolina. That’s given me firsthand knowledge of how a movement for change operates. I also have a unique perspective on Georgetown life as a transfer student. I’ve worked with students across two different campuses, and that’s given me an exceptional ability to bring people together for a common cause.

David: Ben and Matt did a great job last year. We want to build on that but also change the tone and dynamic of GUSA as well. We still feel there is an opportunity to expand the role of GUSA across campus as a forum where students can collaborate on all kinds of issues.

Tyler: We can make GUSA a force to unite student groups and empower Hoyas. If we serve as the voice of a much broader base of students that cuts across divisions, we can better reflect the needs of students who never before had the access or opportunity.

David: Changing the negative image of GUSA is certainly going to be very difficult, but we want GUSA to represent the students and be a change agent. Just like we hope students challenge us, we challenge the students to work with us and take ownership of their experience here.

Patrick Dowd (SFS ’09) and James Kelly (COL ’09)

I want to reshape the alcohol policy in a way that compliments intellectual life and improves relations between the administration and students.

As good friends with our own unique social groups, we have the ability to bring together diverse perspectives from across campus. We believe that we can achieve positive changes here at Georgetown and hope that you will support us.

Pat: I have been on the Alcohol Policy Working Group since last fall, working closely with administrators while still advocating for students. I have also taken a leading role within the Party For a Cause Foundation, Student Safety Advisory Board and the Citizens Association of Georgetown. As president, I would bring this leadership experience to GUSA.

James: As a GU tour guide, I’m aware of what potential students hope for in a university like Georgetown. My involvement with the club cycling team has also exposed me to the issues that matter most to student organizations. I want to bring this unique perspective to GUSA.

We want to focus on the intersection between intellectual and social life. By voting for us, you are doing more than placing candidates in office: you are making a statement that you want increased ownership of your Georgetown experience. We want to make faculty more available to students with innovations like our “Take Your Professor to Lunch” program, and thereby increase communication between students and the administration. In this way, we can help administrators to know us better and recognize that being social and being intellectual are not mutually exclusive. We want to get past “work hard-play hard” and start living well.

Schuyler Hawkins (MSB ’10) and Anna Schubert (COL ’09)

Our most important issue is making GUSA actually representative of the student body.

From GERMS to the College Democrats, the [International Relations Club] to Chimes, Anna and I have been a part of many of the things that make Georgetown special and unique. Of course, through these experiences we have also come into contact with many of the problems that plague Georgetown’s campus. We feel that the diversity of our involvements in programs has made us best suited to deal with the numerous issues our campus faces.

Anna and I plan to greatly expand the influence GUSA has by making it actually represent the needs of the students. By forcing GUSA representatives to be accountable to their constituents, through mandatory meetings with the people they represent, etc., we feel that Georgetown’s administration will be forced to take seriously the ideas GUSA puts forth.

Sean Hayes (MSB ’10) and Andrew Madorsky (MSB ’10)

One of our major goals is to increase supervision and security of the areas within and outside of our campus – students should not be scared to walk on 36th Street.

Our enthusiasm and motivation are the real keys to our ticket. Since all candidates are students at Georgetown, they obviously have spectacular resumes and have had leadership experience in the past. What distinguishes us from the rest is our ability to be personable and professional. We look forward to putting in 40-80 hour weeks for the student body-because we care about the student body. We are fun-loving, social guys that are eager to listen to their constituents. Many have the intellect to nail out a contract or agreement with administration, but we feel we have a skill set that enables us to comfortably interact with students as well.

Although other leaders have preached continuous interaction and student involvement, few have really put this into action. We plan to hold periodic surveys or polls as to what the hot issue is on campus that students want to address. After all, while the two of us do have our own ideas for change, it is the pressing issues of the entire Hoya family that primarily concern us. Aside from the campaigning periods, we personally have never been approached and asked about some of the changes we would like to see. Although our schedules will be busy if elected, we definitely plan on being as accessible for the next year as the student body would like us to be. This kind of pressure and responsibility is not new to us, and we are excited to embrace it.

Tom Karwacki (MSB ’09) and William Farrar (COL ’09)

Did not respond.

Kyle Williams (COL ’09) and Brian Kesten (COL ’10)

We believe that students at Georgetown should feel safe and included on campus.

Our ticket is most qualified to lead GUSA because of our experience serving the Georgetown community. Since our first days here on campus, we have been seeking ways to make Georgetown more inclusive, representative and effective at serving students. We both have gained personal relationships with many important administrators from vice presidents to executive directors to faculty members. We are prepared to lead both the student body and the student government. Brian has been a member of the GUSA Senate for two years and founded the Student Commission for Unity. Kyle campaigned successfully to change our history requirement, while gaining positions of leadership in many other groups (Male Development Association, Leaders in Education About Diversity, DC Reads). Generally, we bring experience and relationships, which have been built over five combined years of service to the Georgetown campus, which cannot be matched by any of our opponents.

We will be able to unite people in a way that has not been done in the past by GUSA leaders. We have been a part of many successful campaigns and groups on campus. Through these experiences, we have learned how to bring various groups and communities within the Georgetown community together to unite on common issues and learn from each other where they differ. For example, it is one thing to suggest that a new history requirement should be instituted in the college, yet a completely different thing to have it become a part of actual school curriculum. It is great to suggest a better, more unified community at Georgetown; however, to actually create something like the Student Commission for Unity requires a greater level of commitment. Georgetown is a great institution; past students have made this possible. We plan to establish the tradition of Georgetown as a great community.