GUSA Proposes New Bylaws

GUSA Assembly members said Tuesday that they hope to pass a resolution proposing sweeping revisions to the student association’s election bylaws by winter break.

The proposal was formed after weeks of deliberation by a committee investigating the issue of bylaw reform. Committee chair Drew Rau (COL ’06) delivered the resolution to the assembly for consideration.

The highly anticipated reforms have been one of the Student Association’s top priorities since last spring, when the contested election of GUSA President Kelley Hampton (SFS ’05) and Vice President Luis Torres (COL ’05) raised questions about the viability of the election bylaws.

Hampton and Torres were disqualified from the election by the Election Commission for amassing too many campaign violations in the form of fines. After a long period of uncertainty, that decision was overturned by the Constitutional Council.

Seeking to prevent such problems in the future, the proposal eliminates fines for campaign violations. Instead of using fines, it lays out two pages of rules for campaigns, and punishes any violations with immediate disqualification by the Election Commission.

The proposal also reforms the rules governing the Constitutional Council so that it is prepared to meet on a weekly basis, hoping to eliminate the possibility of protracted periods of uncertainty or dispute.

Assembly members were pleased with the proposal and enthusiastic about the prospects of election reform.

“Drew Rau did a great job,” Representative Sam Hill (SFS ’05) said. He called the proposed new bylaws a “significant improvement.”

Hampton, who said she has been following the committee’s work closely, was also pleased with the proposal.

“I really like the direction they have taken,” she said.

The proposed new system of immediate disqualification has emerged as a point of contention among members of GUSA.

“It’s a little burdensome on the candidates,” Hampton said, though she also said that the appeals process and proper documentation would keep the system fair.

Rau defended the proposal. He said that the alternative, the fining system currently in use, has proven unrealistic.

The proposal goes well beyond simply correcting the problems raised by last spring’s elections. It contains several other provisions aimed at dramatically altering the way student campaigns are run.

The proposal would extend the campaign period. Presidential campaigns would take place over a period of 14 days. Assembly campaigns would be a seven-day period.

The new rules would also lift the ban on pre-campaigning, which members agree is unenforceable. Furthermore, it would impose more explicit rules prohibiting campaign parties and require that campaign Web sites be run through the Georgetown server.

Assembly members say they view bylaw reform not only as a chance to correct specific problems from the past, but to generate a different campaign culture that is marked by ideas and conversation rather than slogans and catchphrases.

GUSA members deny that such proposals amount to excessive involvement by the Student Association or would stifle the independence of student campaigns. Rather, they suggest that removing influences such as parties from campaigns will allow for greater creativity.

“People can see that GUSA can do things for them,” Rau said.

The assembly voted to table the proposal at Tuesday’s meeting to allow for further debate and amendment. Members say they are confident that the final proposal will be approved and in place before next year’s campaign.

Several expressed hope that the final vote will be at next Tuesday’s meeting, though Hill said that before winter break would be a more realistic deadline.

“My priority is that everyone is comfortable with it,” Rau said.