GUSA Votes To Alter By-Laws

STUDENT GOVERNMENT GUSA Votes To Alter By-Laws By Amanda McGrath Hoya Staff Writer

A proposal to alter the GUSA by-laws to include a formal procedure for presidential vetoes passed unanimously at the student association’s meeting on Tuesday.

The proposal was introduced by GUSA Deputy Chief of Staff James Shea (COL ’04) and sophomore representative Anthony Marinello (COL ’04) because the course of action for carrying out a veto is not currently included in the by-laws or the constitution.

“It basically puts into writing and formalizes the procedure for going about a veto,” Shea said.

According to the approved by-law change, a veto is official only after a letter detailing the reasons for the decision to veto is submitted in writing by the president to the Assembly and also delivered to the executive secretary, vice chair of the Assembly, and the historian within one week of the resolution’s approval.

“Vetoes aren’t very common,” Shea said. “This doesn’t do much for the veto itself. It gives no additional power to and takes no power from the executive. It’s basically a procedural matter – we didn’t want future administrations to have to deal with the problems of formality.”

The change comes following a veto by current GUSA President Ryan DuBose (COL ’02) on Dec. 4, the first presidential veto in four years.

DuBose vetoed a resolution to submit an amicus curaie, or “friend of the court” brief, responding to an affirmative action court case at the University of Michigan.

He cited a lack of student input and an incomplete study of the university’s own affirmative action policy in his decision.

According to Shea, the official procedure that was added to the by-laws mirrors the actions taken by DuBose in delivering his recent veto.

Shea also noted that the change was made to the by-laws, not to the constitution.

“We felt this was something that does not change the distribution of power. It’s mostly procedure, and procedure belongs in the by-laws, not in the constitution,” Shea said.

The proposal passed with very little discussion. The only concern was the power of the assembly to override the veto.

According to the by-laws, a two-thirds vote by the GUSA assembly would still override the veto.

GUSA will hold its next meeting Tuesday at 9 p.m. in the Leavey Program Room.