GUST Fair in Final Tune Up

The Georgetown sailing program was scattered along the East Coast last weekend as the Hoyas competed in four different regattas. Georgetown finished fourth out of 16 teams at both the Arrigan Memorial Regatta held in Georgetown and the Dellenbaugh Women’s Trophy held at Brown, while placing seventh out of 18 teams at the Admiral’s Cup in Kings Point and 12th out of 18 teams at the Moody Trophy at the University of Rhode Island.

The four events were the Hoyas’ final competitions before their upcoming weekends of national qualifying regattas.

“It could have been a good weekend to jump start and get on a roll for national qualifiers, but it was a little bit of a bummer for us,” Head Coach Mike Callahan said.

Georgetown, ranked No. 1 in the latest Sailing World College Rankings, played host to the Arrigan Memorial Regatta and finished with a total of 103 points to place fourth. St. Mary’s won the competition with 87 points.

In the A division, senior skipper Kyle Bergeron and sophomore crew Liz Rapp sailed their way to first place. The pair finished among the top five in 10 of 11 races to claim the top spot. In the B division, senior Berry Kurland and junior Theresa Salerno finished fifth.

“We would have liked to win the regatta, but we tried our best. We aren’t really disappointed with our finish,” Bergeron said.

At the Dellenbaugh Women’s Trophy Georgetown placed fourth with a total of 207 points. Charleston won the regatta with 109 points.

In the A division, sophomore skipper Blaire Herron and freshman crew Carly Chamberlain finished 10th with 123 points. Senior skipper Derby Anderson and her crew, senior Jackie Schmitz, won their final two races to lead the Hoyas to a fourth-place finish in the B division.

“In the division I sailed in, everyone was sailing their best. The points were close. Everyone was in gear for national qualifiers,” Herron said.

Despite a first-place finish by senior skipper Andrew Campbell and junior crew Caroline LaMotte in the A division, Georgetown finished with 402 points to place seventh at the Admiral’s Cup, held in Kings Point, N.Y. Hobart/William Smith won the regatta with 300 points.

Campbell and LaMotte placed among the top five in 12 of 17 races, winning four of them. In the B division, sophomore Chris Behm and senior Dan Monico finished eighth, while junior J.B. Turney placed 11th in the C division.

At the Moody Trophy the Hoyas finished with 242 points to place 12th overall. UC-Irvine won the regatta with 108 points.

In the A division, Georgetown finished 16th, as skipper Ed DuMoulin sailed with freshman Sprague Brodie for the first eight races and freshman Emily Babbitt for the final five. In the B division, the Hoyas placed third, as sophomore skipper Zach Kavanaugh sailed eight races with freshman Madeleine Maguire and five races with Brodie.

“All in all, it wasn’t a great weekend for us, but I think we can take some lessons away from it. We want to peak at the right time instead of peaking too early,” Campbell said.

The Georgetown women sailors hope to be at the top of their game this weekend for the MAISA Women’s championship at the New York Maritime, where they will have a chance to qualify for the ICSA Women’s National championship. The Hoyas will also compete in the MAISA Open at St. Mary’s and the Thompson Trophy this weekend to which the Coast Guard Academy plays host.