Habitat Campout Raises Awareness

Members of the Georgetown University chapter of Habitat for Humanity camped out on Copley Lawn for 12 hours last Friday night in an effort to draw attention to the organization and concerns about homelessness and housing issues.

A giant blue tarp covered the grass as Habitat welcomed members and curious passersby from 9 p.m. until after dawn Saturday morning. Despite temperature drops, rain and long hours, participants said the event was successful in raising campus awareness about homelessness and Habitat’s mission.

The event was Habitat’s first attempt at a campout. Group members stressed that they were not trying to simulate the experience of homelessness, but to draw attention to the issue in a unique way.

“Habitat for Humanity is not all about houses. It is about a cause. It is about the fact that it is unacceptable for people to live in unsafe, unhealthy or unreasonably priced living conditions,” participants said in a statement released before the event.

The organization, in its fourth year at Georgetown, said its goal was not to solve the global problem of homelessness. Participants said the group’s primary aim is to provide better housing for those in the community who work hard and still cannot afford adequate living conditions. Charlie Martorana (COL ’04), a member of this year’s Habitat for Humanity board said events like the campout make people “realize that the problem of substandard housing is something everybody needs to pitch in for.”

Habitat member Johnathan Gajdos (COL ’04) said the group wanted students to “walk by and ask us questions, find out why we’re here and what we’re doing here.”

Georgetown Habitat President Elizabeth Belanger (SFS ’04) said she hoped people would “come out, see what the group was doing and even stop by.” The Habitat Board eventually sent everyone home at 6 a.m. because of the weather. The planners and participants agreed, however, it had been a successful event.

“I’m proud of it, the way it came together,” Belanger said, as she contemplated the changes, including more entertainment, the group could make for a similar event next year.

Though the event was designed in part to raise interest about Habitat, members said recruitment for the organization is rarely a problem. Each year about 200 students sign up for the program, and the group currently has approximately 400 members.

Student a capella groups, the Gracenotes and Harmony, provided entertainment and food and drinks were also provided. Because of the cold weather, however, member Angela Rodela (COL ’03) said that it was “a great idea they put a lot of effort into, [but a] turnout lower than we had hoped for.” Despite the weather, there still was a steady core of 15 students all night, and even 10 who slept over. Like Rodela, they felt that it was important “to support Habitat for Humanity and also important [to] build up awareness of what we do on campus.”

According to participants, Habitat for Humanity also hoped to break a few stereotypes that their fellow Hoyas might have about the organization. “People associate us with doughnuts,” Rodela said. Habitat members sell Krispy Kreme doughnuts every Wednesday in Red Square to raise funds to build houses.

The campout and the information booth nearby were intended to promote Habitat for Humanity’s newest project, entitled “The House that George Built.” The group plans to break ground in October on their own house, something they have never done before. The District of Columbia Habitat for Humanity is building 52 houses in southeast Washington, D.C., and Georgetown and George Washington University students will join to build one of the houses. The house will cost $85,000 to complete.

The leaders from both universities have been meeting every other week to plan the large event. Georgetown’s Habitat group has also been working closely with George Washington’s chapter to organize fundraisers, parties and speaker events.

Georgetown’s chapter will also continue many of its yearly traditions in the future. The collegiate challenge will occur again this year, an event that sends dozens of university Habitat organizations to build sites. The 2002 site was in Florida, and the location for 2003 will be released this fall.

“Hopefully the energy tonight that we generate will carry over into our builds and projects,” Habitat Treasurer Rachel Rickman (COL ’04) said.

Reflecting on his experience at the campout, Gajdos said he hoped the event would get more people involved in Habitat. “It’s always important to show support to campus organizations – especially organizations that can make a difference in the lives of others.”