Harvey Thomas: Change of Plans

Former Georgetown basketball player Harvey Thomas, who transferred to Daytona Beach Community College at the beginning of the summer, has again switched schools. This time, he transferred to Northeast Oklahoma A&M Community College, according to Head Coach Craig Esherick and coaches at Daytona and Northeast Oklahoma.

In addition, Esherick made it clear that the possibility of a return to Georgetown no longer exists for Thomas. “He is not going to go to Georgetown,” Esherick said Tuesday.

Reasons for Thomas’s two transfers remain largely a mystery. ESPN.com’s Andy Katz, who cited Thomas’s brother Anthony as his source, first reported his transfer to Daytona in early June. Anthony Thomas told Katz that Thomas moved because of personal differences between him and Esherick, although those sentiments were never confirmed by Esherick or Thomas himself.

Regarding his latest move, which has landed him a scholarship spot on the Northeast Oklahoma Golden Norsemen’s roster, Thomas was unavailable for comment. But Daytona Head Coach Frank Burnell said, “It was just a communication problem between me and him. It just wasn’t going to work out.”

Northeast Oklahoma Head Coach Jason Turk said that “Harvey has had a lot of different difficulties in his life,” citing the recent death of his father as a factor that may have caused Thomas to need a change of scenery. According to Burnell, Thomas’s father passed away sometime in July. He first brought up the idea of transferring to Burnell “around Labor Day.”

During his high school years, Thomas attended several high schools including Montrose Christian Academy in Rockville, Md., and Hamilton High School in Tennessee.