Hate Crime Legislation Debated

?”18897″ “2009-04-24 02:42:48” “News in Brief” “news” “26” “News in Brief” “575” “2009-04-24” “Hoya Staff Report ” “

Wisconsin Ave. Safeway to Close

At 6 p.m. on April 26, the Safeway on Wisconsin Ave. will close its doors to prepare for renovations.

The store will become a two-level complex, and will be located curbside to allow better access. The development of the Georgetown store is part of national rebranding strategy Safeway announced in 2004.

The renovated store will include expanded wine and beer offerings, a nut kiosk, Jamba Juice and a larger selection of organic produce, according to the Web site of Social Safeway, the corporation’s nationwide initiative to renovate their stores in a new format.

According to the Web site, other Safeway stores in the area will remain open while renovations take place at the Wisconsin Ave. location. These include locations at MacArthur Blvd. and 48th Street NW, and 5th and K Streets NW. A full list of Safeway locations in the District can be found on the store’s Web site.

– Shane Hickey

National Geographic CEO Speaks at GU

In celebration of Earth Day, National Geographic CEO John Fahey spoke in Copley Formal Lounge on Wednesday about the economy, how it will affect the environment and what people must do in order to ensure change in the future. University President John J. DeGioia opened the event, recalling the history of Earth Day to the more than 200 attendees.

“Every day is Earth Day at National Geographic,” Fahey said. “[Our mission] is to inspire people to care about the planet by illuminating certain things [about the environment].”

Fahey added that National Geographic currently focuses on the intersection between human desires and needs and the Earth’s resources. The main issue dealing with this intersection, he said, is the world population, which is expected to reach 9 billion by 2050.

As a result of worldwide population increases, consumption has also increased. With recent economic downturns, however, Fahey said that he sees change coming.

“2009 [is] a new beginning. [We are] living in a tough time. But the economy on a worldwide basis will have a trickle down effect. Since World War II [there have been] decades of increasing consumption . fueled by the ease of credit,” he said. “Now we are purging ourselves in a way, and the implications of that are profound.”

Due to the economy and decreasing credit availability, Fahey sees the future as a time for rethinking the American dream, which previously had focused on owning as much as possible. “We have exported the American dream through the media. So it is becoming the dream of the entire world. It is an unsustainable dream,” he said. “[People are currently] saving more. Credit is not as available. So we have a unique opportunity in redefining the American dream and refocusing on American ideals.”

Fahey concluded by speaking about the goals of National Geographic, which will be to focus on habitats and resources that need protection, beginning with the Earth’s water supply and its overexploitation.

Lecture Fund Vice Chair for External Affairs Jessica Kuntz (SFS ’10) said that she believed the event was a success and was impressed by Fahey’s optimism.

“As the Lecture Fund, our mission is to promote dialogue on contemporary issues. We aim to select speakers who will make Georgetown students more informed participants in society,” Kuntz said in an e-mail. “Mr. Fahey was a very engaging, genuine speaker. I cannot imagine a better speaker for Earth Day. . His optimistic message that the current financial crisis could be an impetus for lifestyle changes that favor the environment was a refreshing perspective.”

Kieran Batty (COL ’12) said that the connection between the economy and the environment was the most intriguing aspect of Fahey’s speech.

“I thought it was interesting how he talked about the global economic crisis and how it will change how we look at the American dream and consumerism,” he said.

The event was sponsored by the Georgetown University Lecture Fund, the Office of the Senior Vice President, Georgetown Center for the Environment, EcoAction and The Corp. – Kait Gallagher