Hero on the Hilltop

Today he exists only in decades-old sports clippings and in the memories of a few war-time alumni. But from 1939 to 1942, Georgetown sports star Al Blozis (C’42) left an enduring imprint on Georgetown history, and almost every Hoya followed his athletic exploits.

On Mar. 2, 1945 THE HOYA announced that Blozis was missing in action after fighting related to the Battle of the Bulge in World War II.

“Lieutenant Alfred Blozis is missing in action. This gigantic athlete resided here on the Hilltop for four years and made history …,” THE HOYA wrote. “`Big Bertha’ is remembered here for his deeds on the athletic fields, and today you may find him playing the greatest game in the world on the battlefields of Europe.”

THE HOYA’s lofty words of praise typified the recognition that the 6’5″, 250-lb athlete received from all over campus and beyond Healy Gates. Blozis was a multi-tiered athlete, excelling in multiple sports, especially football and track, and earning 24 collegiate and world records in track and field.

According to press accounts, Blozis attempted to enlist in every fighting branch of the military after graduation but was turned down because of his prominent height, a trait considered unfit by the military for fighting. Deferred from enlisting, Blozis “joined the group of men who play football as a profession.”

He was called one of the best football players in the NFL by many. For his excellent play, he was named to the all-league team.

Blozis finally entered the Army in December 1944.

Only two months after graduating as a second lieutenant, Blozis was killed fighting in the Vosges Mountains in February 1945. At press time before the Mar. 2 issue, THE HOYA could only speculate on his fate.

“Gone are the cheering crowds and the plaudits of former years …,” THE HOYA wrote. “The final score will be known only after it has been written by the hand of time.”

– Hoya Staff Writer Fred Lestina condensed this article from the Mar. 2, 1945 edition of THE HOYA. HOYA HISTORY runs every Tuesday.