Hobart Can’t Hang On

If Las Vegas determined the odds for lacrosse games, the line for Sunday’s contest between Georgetown and Hobart at the ulti-Sport Facility would have likely been Hoyas by two.

And that’s exactly how it played out.

For the fourth season in a row, Georgetown defeated Hobart by two goals. This time around, with five goals from junior midfielder Dan D’Agnes and four goals and an assist from freshman attacker Craig Dowd, the Hoyas won 15-13 in a fast-paced battle that was all about offense.

“They’re a very good team that always comes to play hard against us,” Georgetown Head Coach Dave Urick said. “I admire the way they play against us.”

While Hobart is no powerhouse in men’s lacrosse, before they made the jump to Division I, Urick led the Statesmen to 10 consecutive Division II national championships.

Essential to Georgetown keeping the lead in the goal-a-thon was the performance of senior midfielder Christiaan Trunz, whose strong showing on face-offs helped the Hoyas maintain possession and hold onto their slim lead down the stretch.

“Christiaan Trunz had a big game for us,” Urick said. “His face-off credentials were outstanding. He took 20 out of 30 and that’s a pretty full day’s work. That’s a lot for one guy to take and a lot to win.”

No. 7 Georgetown improves to 4-1 overall and 2-0 in the ECAC, while the Statesmen fell to 3-3 overall and 0-1 in conference play.

The game was the most high-scoring event of the season for the Hoyas. Georgetown gave up 14 goals in its loss to Syracuse on March 10, but has surrendered an average of only 6.7 scores in its other three contests. The Hoyas were averaging 9.5 goals per game before Sunday’s 15-point outburst. While the offensive performance was impressive, the Hoyas would like to avoid any more shootouts.

“Both teams were getting up and down the field,” Urick said. “It wasn’t a chess match as much as a free-flowing type of game. That’s the way they set the tone and we needed to deal with it. It’s good to know that we can win that type of game if we have to.”

Junior attacker Andrew Baird added two goals and two assists, and junior attacker Brendan Cannon and sophomore midfielder Cullen olinari tallied three assists each for Georgetown. Freshman attacker Andrew Brancaccio scored twice to bring his season total to 10 goals, tied for the team lead with Baird.

Junior midfielder Nick Currie led Hobart with five goals while junior attacker Daryl Veltman found the back of the net three times for the Statesmen.

Hobart jumped out to an early 2-0 lead, but back-to-back goals from Dowd on assists from Cannon tied the game with 9:35 to play in the first quarter. The game was tied 7-7 at halftime, and the Hoyas led 12-10 going into the final quarter of play.

Urick said that the Hoyas have not been playing up to their potential, but they are improving.

“We’re a work in progress,” Urick said. “We’ve got some younger players who are starting to get a feel for what lacrosse is at this level. We have a lot of things that we still need to shore up. But we seem to be moving in the right direction.”

The game was supposed to be played at Hobart on Saturday, but inclement weather in upstate New York forced the teams to reschedule and Hobart to travel.

Georgetown has now won 12 straight games against Hobart and ended the Statesmen’s three-game winning streak.

The Hoyas will next take the field against No. 5 Duke at the ulti-Sport Field on Saturday. Face-off is set for 1 p.m.

“The Duke-Georgetown game has always been a pretty intense affair,” Urick said. “They have some real firepower on offense. We’re going to have our hands full trying to stop them.”