Holy Cross Players to Watch

QB Dominic Randolph

If Georgetown is to upset Holy Cross tomorrow, it will have to ensure it keeps the Patriot League’s biggest star under control. The senior gunslinger has been named Patriot League Offensive Player of the Year the past two seasons while leading the conference’s most explosive aerial attack, and he was recently tabbed to win the award for a third straight season.

Randolph also remains one of the favorites for the Walter Payton Award, presented annually to the top player in the NCAA football subdivision. Past Walter Payton recipients include Brian Westbrook of the Philadelphia Eagles, Tony Romo of the Dallas Cowboys and the recently deceased Steve McNair, formerly of the Tennessee Titans and Baltimore Ravens.

In three seasons at Holy Cross, Randolph has already set school records in career touchdown passes (83), career yards of total offense (9,984), career completions (821), career pass attempts (1,301) and career completion percentage (.631). Last season, he led the Patriot League with 348.9 passing yards per game and 34 touchdown passes. His efforts helped the Crusaders score a conference high 34.4

points per game.

In last season’s 38-14 victory at Georgetown, Randolph scored first-quarter touchdowns both on the ground and in the air to give his team a 14-0 lead. The Hoyas would never recover. Randolph completed 25-of-39 passes for 280 yards and three touchdowns for the game as Holy Cross eventually broke the game open. The bright spots for the Hoyas were Randolph’s two interceptions, both of which Georgetown linebacker Nick Parrish returned for touchdowns. If the Georgetown defense can create enough turnovers without surrendering too much yardage, it could give the Hoyas the edge they need.

LB Marcus Rodriguez

After seeing very little action during his freshman year, Rodriguez earned a starting spot entering his sophomore season and never let it go. Despite playing – and starting – in only nine games, Rodriguez recorded a team-high 69 tackles. His junior season, he started all 11 games and finished second on the team in tackles with 68 while also leading the team in tackles for a loss (eight) and sacks (four), earning second-team all-Patriot League honors.

Last season, Rodriguez recorded seven tackles as Holy Cross completely stifled Georgetown’s running game. The Hoyas gained only 32 yards on 15 carries for the day, and the inability to move the ball consistently prevented the Georgetown offense from putting any points on the board.

Rodriguez has partnered with fellow senior Sean Lamkin – also a second-team all-Patriot League pick – to form one of the conference’s most feared linebacking duos. Unless Georgetown figures out a way to get past the Crusader linebackers, the Hoya offense could be in for another long afternoon.