Hoops News and Notes: Injuries Piling Up

Kevin Braswell had two steals against Bethune-Cookman on Wednesday night and now has 292 career steals. This leaves the senior point guard 84 steals away from the all-time NCAA record of 376 held by Eric Murdock of Providence (’91). With a minimum of 23 games left for Georgetown, Braswell needs to average 3.65 steals over the course of the rest of the season to break the mark. Braswell also has 555 career assists and is 122 assists away from the all-time Georgetown mark of 677 held by Joey Brown (COL ’94) …

In the past two games, junior center Wesley Wilson, sophomore swingman Gerald Riley and junior forward Victor Samnick have all set career highs in scoring. Wilson scored 23 points against Grambling, while Samnick scored 18 in the same game to tie his career high set his freshman season against Houston. Riley had a career-high 18 points against Bethune-Cookman Wednesday night …

Georgetown has three players averaging 15 or more points: Kevin Braswell (15.2), sophomore forward Mike Sweetney (16.4) and Wilson (16.3) . Junior forward Courtland Freeman has started the past two games due to the injury to Sweetney (Achilles), the first two starts of the co-captain’s career . Wilson leads the team in field goal percentage, shooting 66 percent from the field, while Braswell has been the team’s best marksman from both three-point land and the foul stripe, shooting 48 percent from behind the arc and 88 percent from the line . Georgetown is outscoring its opponents by an almost 2-to-1 margin (287-150) in the first half of games this season.

Injury News

Sweetney saw two minutes of action against Bethune-Cookman on Wednesday night after missing Monday’s game against Grambling with a sprained Achilles. Sweetney said he felt comfortable, but Head Coach Craig Esherick didn’t like how he looked on the court. He is recuperating and expected to play next week against South Carolina.

Freshman forward Harvey Thomas rolled his ankle against Grambling on Monday night and could be seen around campus on crutches, but he nonetheless suited up on Wednesday night and played 19 minutes. Thomas is a definite for next Thursday’s game.

Freshman guard Drew Hall injured (possibly dislocated) his shoulder against Bethune-Cookman on Wednesday night but told Esherick he was capable of going back in. His status against South Carolina is up in the air right now.

Junior guard and two-sport athlete Trenton Hillier suited up and played on Wednesday after sitting out the previous two games due to a high-ankle sprain suffered in the football team’s final game against Towson. Hillier provides Georgetown with a backup at the one position.

Freshman guard Tony Bethel has been sidelined with infectious mononucleosis since the Georgia game on Nov. 19. He will definitely not return prior to Georgetown’s matchup with Virginia on Dec. 20 but should be back in time for UCLA on Dec. 29.

Freeman has been battling a cold but has seen 20 or more minutes in each of Georgetown’s past two games. After the Grambling game Esherick hinted at the possibility that Freeman, like Bethel, has mono, but testing showed that it is nothing more than a virus.

Sophomore guard RaMell Ross had surgery on his foot on Oct. 22 and will continue to be sidelined until the heart of the Big East schedule in late Jan. Ross was expected to provide Georgetown with additional depth at both guard positions this season.

Ryan Growney, senior team manager and co-captain, has been absent from the Georgetown sidelines for the past two games due to a strained back. It is unknown when he will be able to resume his managerial duties.