Hopes for .500 Season Ruined by Division Rivals

Andreas Jeninga/The Hoya Senior forward Courtney Shaub and the Hoyas succumbed to both Seton Hall and Rutgers over the course of the weekend. Shaub, one of three players to start every game this season, tallied two shots.

The Georgetown women’s soccer team had its hopes of finishing the season with a .500 record dashed in dramatic fashion last weekend, losing in overtime Friday at Seton Hall, 3-2. The Hoyas also fell to Rutgers, 2-1, in two overtime periods on Sunday afternoon.

Georgetown finishes conference play with a 0-6-0 record in the Big East Mid-Atlantic Division. It is the first time Georgetown has gone winless in conference play since 1995. The Hoyas’ overall record stands at 6-11-1 with one game remaining in the season.

The losses ensured Georgetown of a losing record, thereby disqualifying the team from participating in the ECAC Tournament in November.

Georgetown traveled to South Orange, N.J., to face a Seton Hall team that had struggled to score all year. The Pirates held a 2-0 lead until the Hoyas rallied to tie the game and send it into overtime, when Seton Hall eventually won on a goal by Rita Massot in the 96th minute.

The Pirates drew first blood early, scoring in the fourth minute of the match. Senior midfielder Nadine Ruddock, set up in the box by senior forward Beth Garwood and freshman midfielder Aubrey Ellzey, scored from nine yards out to put Seton Hall ahead, 1-0.

Seton Hall extended its lead in the 47th minute. Ellzey passed to junior forward Carley Piagentini who lobbed a shot over Hoya freshman goalkeeper Erin Mazursky and into the goal for a 2-0 Seton Hall advantage.

Georgetown fought back with two second-period goals to tie the game. The first came in the 55th minute, when senior forward Jessie Beers-Altman scored on a rebound from her own shot. After a long pass from junior defender Elizabeth Roberti, Beers-Altman put a shot on goal that was stopped by Pirate senior goalkeeper Buffy Wojciehowski. The ball slipped out of her hands, however, and Beers-Altman put the ball in the net for her fifth goal of the year.

The Hoyas got the equalizer 10 minutes later. Sophomore midfielder Kyle Holsinger-Johnson bent a corner kick that found its way inside the far corner of the goal, tying the game, 2-2. It was Holsinger-Johnson’s third goal in four games.

As the match moved into overtime, Seton Hall regained momentum. The Pirates held Georgetown without a shot in overtime, while creating a couple of scoring chances themselves. The match ended when Massot took a pass from Piagentini at the six-yard box and scored past Mazursky for her third game-winning goal of the season.

The 3-2 loss was Georgetown’s second overtime defeat. In other overtime games, the team has come up with one win and one tie.

The Hoyas played overtime again on Sunday at Rutgers, with the Scarlet Knights escaping with a 2-1 victory. Sophomore midfielder Christine Wentzler’s game-winner 90 seconds into the second overtime period handed Georgetown its second-straight overtime loss.

Junior midfielder Nicole DePalma gave Georgetown an early lead that it would hold for most of the game. In the 20th minute, sophomore midfielder Shara McNeill hit the crossbar on a shot, but DePalma knocked in the rebound for her third goal of the year.

Georgetown was forced to play with just 10 players after Roberti received a red card in the 32nd minute. Roberti had been issued a yellow card in the sixth minute, and was ejected with 15 minutes left in the first period. Rutgers was also charged with three yellow cards in the match.

Sophomore goalkeeper Lou Butler made a couple of crucial saves to preserve Georgetown’s lead. Yet Rutgers broke through in the 86th minute, as sophomore forward Kelly Evans took a pass from sophomore midfielder Zoe Avner and beat Butler to tie the game, 1-1.

Georgetown had a breakaway chance in the first overtime, but Rutgers freshman goalie Robyn Jones broke up the play.

Rutgers scored just after the intermission between overtime periods. Evans put a shot on goal that Butler got a hand on, but Wentzler waited for the rebound and scored the game-winner.

Georgetown came into the season with high expectations following last year’s 11-7 record and trip to the Big East Tournament. Yet the Hoyas have been unable to generate the same dynamic offense of just a year ago and are set for their first losing season since 2000.

The Hoyas conclude the regular season Wednesday at 2 p.m. with a home game against American.