Hoya Court May Close Popular Taco Bell Stand

A taste of Mexico may soon require more travel than a trip to the Leavey Center for Georgetown students.

The university is currently renegotiating its contract with Taco Bell, the sole brand-name vendor in Hoya Court amid a handful of arriott-run food services.

“We’re trying to work through issues with Taco Bell,” Margie Bryant, associate vice president for auxiliary services, said.

Bryant said the primary consideration in the discussions was money. Georgetown pays a franchise fee of an undisclosed amount to Taco Bell in order to have it in Hoya Court. The vendor in the Leavey Center is an Express service, meaning that it does not offer the full line of Taco Bell fare to customers.

Bryant emphasized that Taco Bell’s quality of food or customer service was not the problem.

“They won’t offer everything our customers want, and that’s where you have disputes,” she said.

Bryant said other potential vendors have been discussed, indicating that Marriott would not achieve a monopoly in Hoya Court, but declined to cite any specific possible replacements.

Eammon Carr (COL ’06), chairperson of GUSA student services, said he has been talking to students about their opinions on changes to Hoya Court.

“My contact with most students has indicated that Hoya Court in general is in need of new vendors, longer hours, better service and higher quality food items if it is to attract students,” he said.

Bryant said a final decision on Taco Bell and other vendors in Hoya Court would come in the next few weeks.