Hoya Notebook

This past weekend, the Georgetown sailing team sent members to interscholastic events at Old Dominion and the College of Charleston.

The Georgetown first team, comprised of six sailors and three boats, went down to Old Dominion to scrimmage against Old Dominion, Saint Mary’s and Navy in both a fleet and a team race regatta. In the fleet race, all three boats finished in the top six, led by a strong performance from the team of junior Caila Johnson and sophomore Evan Aras, who sailed their boat to a first place finish. Seniors Marco Teixidor and Andi Bailey finished fourth, and the team of seniors Nik Holtan and Carly Chamberlain came in sixth. These results are especially promising because of the quality of the competition. Despite the fact that this was only a scrimmage, Head Coach Mike Callahan said that this is one of the tougher events for the Hoyas during the year because of the high level of competition, most notably from the Saint Mary’s team.

The much younger second team, comprised of four freshmen and one sophomore, went to the College of Charleston Spring Intersectional, where they finished 12th out of 18 teams. Callahan seemed somewhat disappointed with this performance, dubbing it a “learning experience” and saying that his team “should have done better.” The seventh place finish of the A division boat, manned by sophomore Scott Furnary and freshman Kate Canty was encouraging, especially considering that the Hoyas were contending with schools who, due to their more southern locations, were able to get their boats in the water and practice weeks before the Hoyas.

One member of the sailing team, sophomore Charlie Buckingham, participated individually in the Laser Midwinter’s East race in Clearwater, Fla., placing 10th.

This weekend, the sailing team will split into three groups; the top team will head down to the College of Charleston to participate in a team race regatta, the second team will be sailing at Washington College, and the third team and women’s team will be at a scrimmage against the Naval Academy.