Hoya Notebook

This past weekend, the sailing team split up and went to the College of Charleston, Washington College and the Naval Academy as it looked to build on last weekend’s success.

The women’s team was also looking forward to opening its spring campaign, but unfortunately, inclement weather cancelled its event on Sunday.

The top team compiled a 14-7 record in the Bob Bavier Team Race Regatta at the College of Charleston, finishing second behind a top-ranked St. Mary’s team. Three of the Hoyas’ seven losses were tightly contested defeats at the hands of the victorious St. Mary’s squad, but Head Coach Mike Callahan was less encouraged by his team’s performance in its other four losses.

“We clearly should not have lost,” Callahan said.

Callahan blamed mental errors for those other four defeats.

Nonetheless, he was very happy with the end result. The performance of sophomore Evan Aras and his rotating partners, junior Caila Johnson and senior Andi Bailey, was particularly notable in a weekend where Georgetown’s entire top team had to perform well to get this result.

The second team accumulated an 11-6 record in a regatta hosted by Washington College, which was good for third place out of 10 teams. The Hoyas came in behind Hobart’s first team and St. Mary’s second team. Callahan had hoped to be a little more competitive with Hobart’s team.

“For the most part, [third] was an okay finish for us,” Callahan said.

The third team was at the Naval Academy and participated in a practice regatta on Saturday with Old Dominion’s top two teams, Navy’s second team and St. Mary’s third team. Results were not kept, but the team gained valuable experience out on the water.

Next weekend, the Georgetown men will be hosting the John Jackson Memorial Regatta, which will feature 16 of the top 20 teams in the country, including St. Mary’s, Boston College and Yale. The women’s team should finally begin its spring season at a regatta at the College of Charleston, and another team will sail at Old Dominion.

– Compiled by Lawson Ferguson