Hoya Notebook

Women’s Basketball

Georgetown basketball alumna Rebekkah Brunson (COL ’04), the starting forward on the WNBA’s Sacramento Monarchs, helped the franchise win its first league championship in team history this week.

Brunson put up 12 points, a personal high during the postseason, and six rebounds in Sacramento’s 62-59 game four win over the Connecticut Sun. She had 23 points and 18 rebounds (14 of which were defensive) during the finals.

The Monarchs drafted Brunson with the tenth overall pick in the first round of the 2004 WNBA draft. Brunson was the second women’s basketball player from Georgetown to be drafted by a WNBA team.

While a Hoya, Brunson dominated the Big East in rebounds, leading the conference in season rebounds three times. Brunson was an all-American her senior year and is the only Georgetown women’s basketball player to have earned the honor. During that season she was the first player in Big East history to lead the conference in both scoring (20.4 points per game) and rebounding (11.3 per game).

Brunson, who had 50 double-doubles over her collegiate career, holds Georgetown records for career rebounds (1,093), season rebounds (336) and rebounds in a single game (22), and her 1,762 career points rank her second in the Hoya record books.

– Emily Liner