Hoya Notebook: Crew

After a three-week break between the first and second races of the fall season, the Georgetown crew teams got back into action this past weekend.

At the Occoquan Chase in Fairfax, Va., the women’s open eight got Saturday off to a good start as the Hoyas finished first out of 19 local university and club teams, clocking in at 15:51.71 on the three-mile course. In the women’s novice eight race Georgetown took first and eighth of 12 entries.

Georgetown kept up the first-place theme, winning and earning third in the college men’s novice four. The first boat crossed the finish line at 16:21.73, and the other was about 26 seconds behind.

The women also competed in the open four, finishing in sixth and seventh. Although there were 15 entries in the event, three boats did not race, including one of Georgetown’s.

The Hoyas wrapped up the day with second- and ninth-place finishes in the men’s college novice eight. The runner-up boat finished with a time of 15:16.74.

Georgetown also participated in three races at the Navy Day regatta in Philadelphia on Sunday. In the men’s college lightweight eight, the Hoyas finished second and seventh of nine teams. The field of 23 entries in the men’s college novice eight saw Georgetown finish 11th and 14th.

The women raced only in the lightweight college four event, finishing first and second out of four boats.

Next Saturday the men’s and women’s teams will compete at the prestigious Head of the Charles in Boston.

– Emily Liner