Hoya Notebook: Crew and Sailing

The Hoyas posted mixed results in a pair of regattas last weekend and proved no match for Princeton in either event as the Tigers took titles at both the Head of the Schuylkill on Saturday and the Princeton Chase on Sunday.

Georgetown rowing posted respectable results at the Head of the Schuylkill in Philadelphia, as two boats of women’s freshman/novice eights sailed to seventh and ninth in the 42-team competition. The men posted 14th- and 19th-place finishes in the same competition, though there were only 37 boats in the race.

The Hoyas entered 14 different boats at the Princeton Chase the following day but could manage no better than 10th place – a finish achieved by the men’s lightweight eight “A” boat. Two sets of four in the men’s heavyweight competition mustered 16th- and 18th-place showings out of 28 teams. The men’s lightweight four “B” and “A” boats were also relatively successful, coming in 16th and 23rd, respectively.

On the women’s side, Georgetown sailed three groups of four in the openweights. Only one of the three boats finished in the top half, as the “C” boat registered 23rd in a field of 51 teams.

Hoya novices will race at home for the first time this season Sunday in a meet against Virginia. Georgetown had been scheduled to open the fall with the Head of the Potomac, but that regatta was cancelled due to Hurricane Isabel.

Georgetown sailing took to the water in four different races last weekend, coming up with its best performance at the Middle Atlantic Intercollegiate Sailing Association Freshman regatta. The Hoyas placed second in a field of 18, behind the home team, St. ary’s.

At the Hoyt Trophy in Providence, R.I., Georgetown’s “A” boat notched 103 points and its “B” boat followed with 130, putting the Hoyas at fifth place in the 18-school tournament. Hobart/William Smith was victorious, followed by Boston College, St. Mary’s and Brown.

Old Dominion took home the title from the Stu Nelson Women’s Regatta with 150 points. Along with the Hoyas, who placed seventh with 273 points, the Monarchs were one of the few teams among the 18 at the competition that did not hail from New England. Harvard, Dartmouth, Tufts, Brown and St. Mary’s occupied the two through six positions. Georgetown had its poorest showing at the MAISA Sloops in Bronx, N.Y., finishing seventh out of 10 programs. Hobart/William Smith won this contest, giving that school two wins on the weekend.

Hoya sailors are slated to race in various events this weekend at Princeton, Harvard and St. Mary’s.