Hoya Offense Tops Atlantic

The Georgetown men’s club water polo team went undefeated this weekend at the second Atlantic Division tournament. The four victories improved the Hoyas’ overall record to 7-1 and their national ranking to No. 15. The Hoyas’ offense dominated, amassing a total of 63 goals, while the defense held the competition to only 14, putting Georgetown atop the Atlantic Division in goals-against average.

The first game of the weekend included a matchup between Georgetown and James Madison, with the Hoyas easily winning, 22-1. Georgetown then eased past Virginia and Virginia Tech, 12-4 and 24-4, respectively. The final Hoya win against Duke, however, did not come without difficulty. By the end of their game against Duke, the Hoyas gelled to pull off the win against the Blue Devils, 8-5.

Senior player-coach Lee Conant was rewarded for his influential performance, as he was named the Collegiate Water Polo Association Player of the Week. Conant’s aggressive offense led him to tally 25 goals on the weekend.

The overwhelming factor in Georgetown’s success was the team’s defense, according to senior Brendan Daly.

“Basically, the key to last weekend was fine tuning the defensive intensity that the team prides itself upon, and keeping the mental edge against any team that we play,” Daly said.

In addition, the newcomers to the team aided the Hoyas’ efforts.

“We had a lot of big performances out of the younger guys, like [sophomore] Marshall Spooner. [Freshmen] Matt Sullivan and Carlo Bena also had a great weekend,” senior co-captain Nick Tallant said. “We showed we could play our own game and not drop our game down a level against less competitive teams.”

The Hoyas have completed their regular season tied for first with Washington and Lee and Richmond. However, for the Atlantic Division Championships at Richmond in three weeks, the Hoyas will be seeded third due to goal differential. Georgetown will face Duke in the first round on Oct. 28 at noon.

“We are poised entering the home stretch before championships. Hopefully, we will have a good weekend there which would launch us to nationals. Our plan is to take it one game at a time. We need to learn from our mistakes, but also get ready for the next one,” Tallant said.