Hoya Women Fall Hard to Notre Dame, 6-0

Andreas Jeninga/The Hoya Sophomore midfielder Shara McNeill sprints with the ball during onday’s game against James Madison. McNeill had three shots during the 1-1 tie.

It was bad news and relatively good news for the Georgetown women’s soccer team last weekend. The Hoyas suffered a 6-0 defeat at Notre Dame Friday but returned home Monday to tie James adison, 1-1.

Georgetown’s winless streak stands at four games. The Hoyas’ overall record is 4-9-1, while Friday’s loss to the Irish dropped Georgetown’s record in Big East id-Atlantic divisional play to 0-4-0.

Notre Dame, at 13-0-1, is one of the best teams in the country so far this season, and showed why with a dominant all-around performance Friday. Not only did the Irish score six goals but they also held Georgetown to just one shot on goal. That lone chance did not come until the 88th minute, when junior defender Elizabeth Roberti’s free kick bounced harmlessly in front of freshman goalkeeper Nikki Westfall for an effortless save.

The Irish drew first blood in the sixth minute, when senior defender Vanessa Pruzinksy redirected a pass to senior midfielder Kim Carpenter who scored her fifth goal of the season. The Hoyas trailed 2-0 at halftime but Notre Dame exploded for four more goals in the second period. Senior forward Amanda Guertin added two goals for the Irish, her seventh and eighth of the year.

Freshman goalkeeper Erin Mazursky had a tough night for the Hoyas, allowing five goals with five saves before being replaced by sophomore Lou Butler in the 73rd minute.

The 6-0 victory extended Notre Dame’s home winning streak against Big East teams to 47 games, dating back to 1995. The six goals were the most allowed by Georgetown in three years, since an 8-0 loss to the Irish on Oct. 6, 2000.

Monday’s match featured many more scoring opportunities for the Hoyas, but they managed just one goal. Georgetown and James adison combined for 23 shots on goal, but played to a 1-1 tie after two overtime periods.

“Neither team has scored many goals at all the whole year,” head coach Diane Drake said. “They always give us a good game and we just haven’t been able to produce. Neither have they, so it was what I expected.”

Georgetown came out firing in the first period. Sophomore midfielder Kyle Holsinger-Johnson narrowly missed putting Georgetown ahead in the 11th minute, when Dukes’ sophomore goalkeeper Jessica Hussey deflected her shot, narrowly missing sneaking in the left corner.

The Hoyas dominated for much of the first half but James Madison held a 1-0 advantage at halftime. With less than three minutes remaining in the period, Dukes’ junior forward Christy etzker shot from the right side into a crowd in front of the goal. The ball deflected off a Georgetown defender and Mazursky was unable to stop the ball from rolling into the goal.

“We had enough chances to clear the ball,” Georgetown assistant coach Dave Nolan said. “Finally, when the ball did come in the back, it seemed like there was a bit of miscommunication between our goalkeeper and the player who was close to the goal.”

Holsinger-Johnson answered with a goal in the 58th minute. Senior midfielder Courtney Shaub hit a crossing pass to Holsinger-Johnson on the left side of the goal box. With a defender in front of her, Holsinger-Johnson played the ball with her left foot, but then dribbled back and shot with her right foot. The ball eluded a diving Hussey and hit the top right corner of the net for the equalizer.

“Out of the corner of my eye I saw [my opponent] come running up, and I was going to take it, but if I took it there she would have cut my angle off,” Holsinger-Johnson said. “So I just wanted to take it around and quickly hit it.”

The Hoyas came within inches of taking the lead in the 72nd minute. Shaub shot from just outside the penalty box, but the ball hit the right post and deflected out of play. Shaub, who was honored in a pregame ceremony along with Jessie Beers-Altman, Lauren Calone, and Jen Choiniere for Senior Day, had three shots on goal and an assist.

Neither team threatened seriously in overtime, though Mazursky made two saves in the second extra period. Mazursky bounced back from Friday’s defeat with a stellar performance, finishing with 10 saves, including a diving save on a shot from the top of the box in the eighth overtime minute, the closest either side came to scoring.

Georgetown will not return to North Kehoe Field for a home game until Oct. 29. The Hoyas have four games on the road before finishing the season at home against American.