Hoyas Bite Back Against Bulldogs

There wasn’t much of a crowd there to see it, but the Hoyas put on a show Friday night.

Led by junior forward Brandon Bowman, the Georgetown men’s basketball team collected its first win of the young season with a 69-34 crushing of the Citadel Bulldogs at MCI Center the day after Thanksgiving.

“Winning is good,” Georgetown Head Coach John Thompson III said after the match, his first victory in the blue and gray. “It feels good . and I think the guys like the feeling.”

They may have liked it, but the winning feeling was certainly not familiar – the victory was the Hoyas’ first in their last 11 matches. Georgetown had been held winless since they defeated Miami 80-64 at MCI on Feb. 7, 2004.

“There were a lot of built up frustrations from last year and losing,” Bowman said. “We saw an opportunity tonight and we wanted to take it.”

Opening the game on a 26-5 run – the first eight of which were scored before the Bulldogs (2-1) even got on the board – the Hoyas (1-1) had the match under control from the opening tip-off.

“Georgetown shot the lights out early,” Citadel Head Coach Pat Dennis said after the game. “They hit every shot tonight that they missed against Temple.”

Bowman scored a game-high 23 points, adding 13 rebounds for his first double-double of the year, and in the first half he alone outscored the entire Citadel team 16-15.

In the end Bowman and junior guard Ashanti Cook combined for 39 points, enough to win the match on their own.

After going just 7-for-23 from behind the arc on Monday, Georgetown got the hot hand on Friday night, hitting 12-of-25 from three-point range, tying a school record. Overall, the Hoyas shot 46 percent on the night, making 23 shots from the field.

“We have to do things right,” Thompson said. “The score is almost irrelevant.”

The Citadel, conversely, never found its stroke and made just 10 field goals on the night. The Bulldogs missed nine of their first 10 shots and hit only 3-of-19 from the floor in the first half, surviving only by being sent to the line 16 times.

“We can’t score,” Dennis said of his team. “We’re a young team and we just really struggle to score.”

The Citadel’s 34 points is the lowest point total by an opponent since 1981, and only the fourth time the Hoyas have held a team below 35 points since 1947.