Hoyas Can’t Hang On to First Half Lead

After a promising win at Towson last Wednesday, the Georgetown field hockey team returned to old habits Saturday, dropping their sixth game of the season to Lafayette, 2-1.

The Hoyas, now 2-6, were hard-pressed to put together productive play Saturday, outperformed by the Leopards across the board. Lafayette outshot the Hoyas 19-5 and totaled 16 offensive corners to Georgetown’s three.

“The problem Saturday was the emotion stopped once we got to the attacking end, and that’s where we have to take the most risks,” Head Coach Laurie Carroll said. “We were way too careful.”

Georgetown got off to a hopeful start when senior defender Caitlin Bump knocked in the first goal of the game in the 13th minute of play, sliding it past the goalkeeper in a scramble. It was one of only three shots taken by the Hoyas in the entire first half, as Lafayette dominated play for the remainder. The Leopards were ineffective, however, failing to score on 11 shots taken and 10 corner kicks. For the first time this season, the Hoyas were atop the score going into the half, leading the Leopards, 1-0.

Georgetown returned in the second half to a disappointing period of play. Posting only two shots, the Hoyas watched as Lafayette evened the score when senior forward Diane Shane connected with sophomore forward Laura Fabian to hit the net in the 50th minute, putting the pressure on the scoreboard.

The Leopards went on to score again in just over 10 minutes to seal their win for the day. Junior forward Maggie DeFilippo found senior midfielder Amanda Eggleston to score the last goal of the game, bringing the final tally to 2-1.

“We’re playing good defense; we’re just getting worn down because we’re spending most of the game in the defensive end,” Carroll said of her team’s play. “If we’re going to win games, we need our forwards to score, and that’s the bottom line.”

The Lafayette game was the third of three consecutive away games played by the Hoyas, who only have seven total away games on their schedule. Georgetown lost two of three on the road, scoring their only win at Towson.

With half its schedule completed, Georgetown will next play host to St. Francis on Kehoe Field at 3 p.m. on Friday.