Hoyas Capitalize on Last Chance

TRACK AND FIELD Hoyas Capitalize on Last Chance By Scott Homa Hoya Staff Writer

Following an impressive effort at the Big East Championships, the men’s and women’s indoor track and field teams returned to action last weekend at the Virginia Tech Last Chance eet, where five athletes ran to post-season qualifying times.

Senior Chris Miltenberg earned an NCAA provisional qualification in the mile, crossing the line in 4:04.46 seconds. The mark adds iltenberg to the qualifiers list slightly below teammate senior Corey Smith, who logged 4:04.23 at the George Mason Invitational on Feb. 2. Although the time may fall short of placing Miltenberg in the event at nationals, the performance ensures him a spot at the Intercollegiate Association of Amateur Athletes of America (IC4A) Championships next weekend. Miltenberg also currently holds the nation’s 19th best time in the 3,000m run and is the anchor of Georgetown’s No. 16 distance medley relay team.

Three other Georgetown athletes competed in the mile, with junior George O’Loughlin timing 4:13.80, senior Adam Daniels clocking 4:14.74 and junior Dylan Welsh coming in at 4:35.75. Welsh previously qualified for IC4A’s in the event, and O’Loughlin’s mark also makes him eligible to compete next weekend.

The men’s team also brought a large group of distance runners to the meet, entering eight athletes in the 3,000m run. Senior David Rodriguez paced the team with an 8:22.04 seventh place finish. Javon Broderick followed in eleventh place, crossing the line in 8:26.17. Both Rodriguez and Broderick met IC4A Championship standards.

Junior Ethan Kearns (8:35.97) and sophomores Felix Chrobog (8:48.15), Pat Lenaghan (8:59.76) and David Swift (9:08.30) also competed in the 3,000m for the Hoyas.

A pair of freshmen, cross-country junior nationals runner-up Rod Koborsi and Chris Esselborn both ran unattached in the 3,000m to preserve their eligibility for later seasons. Koborsi sped to a fifth place finish, completing the race in 8:18:35, and Esselborn followed in 13th with a time of 8:29.73.

Senior Jeff Reinhardt led the Hoyas in the sprints, running an IC4A qualifying time of 48.86 in the 400m dash. Sophomore Andrew Nolen came in close on his heels with a mark of 49.78.

Junior Renard Wilson performed in two events, clocking 7.25 in the 60m dash for 28th place and taking 18th in the 60m hurdles with a time of 8.43.

Junior Adam Rini was the team’s lone field participant, placing seventh in the shot put with a throw of 14.30m.

While the men’s team brought a sizable group of athletes to the meet, the women competed in only two events, resting most runners for next weekend’s ECAC Championships.

Junior Emily Reaman turned in the squad’s top performance, crossing the line of the mile run in a swift 5:12.45. Freshman Lauren Graham came in close on Reaman’s heels with a time of 5:12.69.

Juniors Lori-Ann Gregory and Chichi Okere both competed in the 800m run, with Gregory timing 2:16.33 and Okere coming in at 2:19.07.

For both teams, the culmination of all regular season efforts will take place in the following two weeks, as they head to Boston on March 2 for the ECAC/IC4A Championships and then to the Randall Tyson Track Center on the campus of the University of Arkansas for the NCAA Championships on March 9.