Hoyas Defeat Huskies in Season Closer, Claim Big East Title for Third Straight Year

Lucye Rafferty/The Hoya Senior attack Hilary Polk-Williams looks on as teammate junior midfielder Gloria Lozano swats for the ball. Lozano contributed a single score in the Hoyas’ win.

Ironically, it was the younger players who shined in the Georgetown women’s lacrosse team’s final regular season game. On Sunday, the Hoyas played host to Connecticut, which had quickly slipped to 7-6 on the season. As the team celebrated its Senior Day, Georgetown closed its season in standard fashion, picking up a 15-9 victory over the Huskies.

With the win, The Hoyas earn their third straight Big East Championship and sixth consecutive trip to the NCAA Tournament.

Georgetown maintained the balance that has characterized the latter half of its season. Nine Hoyas came away with goals. Senior attack Wick Stanwick and junior attack Anouk Peters both tallied three goals on the afternoon, and Stanwick added three assists as well.

The Huskies picked up the first goal of the game, scoring on a free-position shot in the early going. Georgetown’s offense kicked in, however, and when the dust cleared the Hoyas led 8-1 with fewer than five minutes left to play in the first half.

Stanwick tallied all three of her goals during the run, while Peters and senior midfielder Liz Ryan both added one. The young guns got in on the action as well, as sophomore midfielders Lauryn Bernier and Alison Chambers added one and sophomore attack Sarah Oliphant tallied a goal as well.

The Huskies struck back for two goals of their own, but with 15 ticks left on the clock, junior defender Michi Ellers picked up a missed shot and found the back of the net. Peters grabbed another goal for Georgetown with only half a second left on the clock to go up 10-3 at the half.

The second half began as the first had ended, as Oliphant knocked one in for Georgetown less than two minutes into play. The teams traded tallies, with UConn putting one in before Georgetown answered, and starting the cycle again. The Hoyas held a 14-6 lead halfway through the second period when UConn mustered two consecutive tallies.

The Hoyas’ last goal of the season was also the first goal of the collegiate career of freshman midfielder Paige Andrews. With 1:45 left in the game, Georgetown led 15-8. At the 1:22 mark, the Huskies put one away, but the Hoyas had put the game away long before.

Freshman goaltender Dosha Stright kept the net in the first half. She let three by while stopping three. Sophomore goalie Sarah Robinson took over in the second half. She stopped 11 UConn attempts while allowing six to slip past.

Having guaranteed themselves a spot in the NCAA Tournament, the Hoyas have nothing left to do but wait. They will learn their seed and whom they will play in the first round of the tournament on Sunday at the tournament selection show at 8 p.m.

Last season, the Hoyas took on Lafayette in the first round, blowing the game wide open and finishing with a 20-9 victory. That year, they went 14-1 in the regular season, finishing with a 10-4 victory over UConn in the season closer.