Hoyas Defeat Midshipmen

It is often said that the leadoff hitter sets the table. On Wednesday, the Hoyas’ leadoff man Mark McLaughlin did just that, going 4-for-5 with three runs and a homer, and put Georgetown in prime position for a victory. Thanks to McLaughlin, the Hoyas defeated Navy 11-7 in Annapolis, Md.

Georgetown (10-12) has now won four of its last five games, as well as both of its games against Navy (16-7-1) this season. The improved Hoya offense collected a season-high 15 hits, while the idshipmen totaled one less.

The teams duked it out on the basepaths as well. Navy senior catcher Jonathan Johnston had two stolen bases to bring his total to a whopping 22 in a still young season. Sophomore utility Thomas Hamilton added another for the Mids, his fifth of the year. For Georgetown, McLaughlin and sophomore utility Matthew Bouchard had one each.

McLaughlin started the game off with a double, and senior designated hitter Drew Dargen drove him in for the first run, giving Georgetown an early 1-0 lead. Dargen had a good game himself, hitting 3-for-5 with three RBI.

The Hoyas then piled on four runs in the third inning, though two came from Midshipmen mistakes. Hamilton booted the ball to allow Georgetown junior catcher Brandon Davis reach first and Dargen score. Later, Hoya senior first baseman Ryan Craft scored when Johnston had to chase a passed ball.

Navy got its first run in the third to make the score 4-1. Senior right fielder Ryan McGinn tripled and scored on a sacrifice fly. The Mids added three more runs over the next three innings.

But Georgetown scored once in the sixth and had another four-run inning in the seventh to extend its advantage to 10-4. With the bases loaded, Bouchard singled up the middle to score junior left fielder Derek DeGrijs and junior pinch hitter Joe Graziano. Later, Dargen’s double got Bouchard and McLaughlin home. Then cLaughlin stroked a solo home run to put the Hoyas up 11-4 in the top of the ninth.

The Midshipmen tried to rally back in the ninth with three runs, but freshman Darren Sizemore only needed to strike out one batter to end the game and earn the save, his second.

Sophomore Daniel Kennedy got the win in his first college start, though he only pitched the first two innings.

Eleven pitchers made an appearance between the two teams, with Navy freshman starter Matt White going the longest. In four innings, he struck seven Hoyas out but gave up eight hits and two earned runs.

The Hoyas’ recent wins put the team on a good note heading into the start of the Big East schedule. Georgetown’s first weekend will be tough, with perennial favorite Notre Dame (10-7) coming to Shirley Povich Field in Bethesda, Md., for a three-game series.

Saturday’s doubleheader begins at noon.