Hoyas Dominate Howard on Senior Day

The Georgetown swimming and diving teams had a memorable day on Saturday, sweeping the Howard University Bison on the team’s senior day at Albert J. McCarthy Pool. The men won 119-92 and the women won 106-81, marking their ninth straight dual meet victory on senior day.

The highlights of the day were the Hoyas’ successive wins in the 200-yard medley relay to open the meet. The women won with strong efforts from seniors Lindsay Vickroy and Laura Alito, junior Megan Harvey and sophomore Kathryn Berg. Senior Wes Going, sophomores Victor Lopez-Cantera and Brad Crist and freshman Ken Ryan led the way on the men’s side.

Freshman Paul Quincy set a school record in the 1,650 freestyle. The men swept Howard in a number of other events, including the 200 and 50 freestyle, the 100 backstroke and the 100 breaststroke.

The women had a similarly dominating result on Saturday, with freshman Christina Costa and sophomore Kelly Donlin finishing first and second in the 100 breaststroke, respectively. The Hoyas swept the 200 freestyle and the 50 freestyle as well. Sophomore Kristen Pratt won the 200 butterfly, while freshman Samantha Kietlinski set personal records in both the 1650 freestyle and 100 backstroke.

The diving team also had a solid showing, as junior Rebecca Jenkinson qualified for the Big East championships, with senior Maija Paegle and sophomore Angela Pontes taking the 1-meter dive on the women’s side, and freshman Randy Crooks taking the 1m dive for the men.

The win on Saturday sets the Hoyas up for next week’s showdown with local rival Maryland. It is their last meet before they head to Pittsburgh over president’s Day weekend for the Big East championships – the biggest event of the season.”