Hoyas Dominate Red Storm

NEW YORK – So far, it has seemed that in the upset-minded Big East, no team is safe. But on Wednesday night, in a less-than-half-full Madison Square Garden, it was apparent from the outset that the underdog was vastly overmatched. St. John’s simply had no chance. Georgetown dominated the Red Storm to the tune of a 74-42 lashing that was St. John’s worst-ever league defeat. “Actually, I was surprised,” junior guard Jessie Sapp said of St. John’s failing to ever make a sizeable dent in Georgetown’s lead. Sapp, whose late-game heroics helped Georgetown in comeback wins over Connecticut, Syracuse and West Virginia in the last two and a half weeks, scored 10 points Wednesday night. “We are comfortable in tight situations, but obviously you’d much rather have a situation like today, where we were fortunate to jump out early, fortunate to get stops, fortunate to score,” Georgetown Head Coach John Thompson III said. The Hoyas took control of the game from the tip-off, opening the game with a 27-3 run, and preventing the Red Storm (7-12, 1-7) from posting a field goal until the 4:36 mark in the first half. Georgetown went on to hold St. John’s to just 14 points in the first half, and 42 overall, the lowest tally of any team the Hoyas have faced so far this season. But despite the blowout, Georgetown kept its poise, and executed well both on the offensive and defensive ends throughout the contest, Thompson said. “I think our guys were extremely attentive tonight,” he said. “I thought our guys did a terrific job of communicating and helping each other out.” Georgetown certainly wasn’t afraid to get the entire roster involved, with the team’s leading scorer, sophomore forward Vernon Macklin, and rebounder, sophomore guard Jeremiah Rivers, both coming off the bench. For the first time this season, Macklin led all scorers with 18 points, a career high. “What he did today was not a surprise,” Thompson said of the back-up big man. What may have been a surprise, however, was that the high-flying Macklin failed to grab a single rebound. Senior center Roy Hibbert added 11 points and six rebounds in 18 minutes of play. Georgetown went into the match-up leading the nation in field-goal percentage defense, and put up an equally impressive showing today, holding St. John’s to just 21.3 percent from the field, forcing them to earn half of their points at the charity stripe (21 of the team’s total 42 points came off of free throws). eanwhile, the Hoyas shot 52.8 percent, including 41.2 percent from behind the arc, an effort that was led by the lately hot-handed Sapp, who was 3-of-5 from deep on the night. St. John’s effort was led by forwards Justin Burrell and Anthony Mason Jr., who each posted nine points. Though they entered the game 12th in the Big East in rebounding margin, Georgetown did manage to outrebound the Red Storm 38-35. Georgetown easily handled the Red Storm without its second-leading scorer, sophomore forward DaJuan Summers. Summers injured his ankle against the Mountaineers last Saturday, and did not suit up for the game on Wednesday. Thompson said that he went to bed on Tuesday thinking that Summers was going to play, and did not find out from his staff until Wednesday afternoon that Summers would not be able to join the Hoyas on the court. The Hoyas come home next to face-off against the Seton Hall Pirates Saturday at noon at Verizon Center. Free Throws: – Junior walk-on Bryon Jansen scored his first career points with a three-pointer at the buzzer. – The Red Storm’s previous worst conference loss was a 72-42 thumping from the Hoyas on Jan. 6, 1982. – Sophomore forward Vernon Macklin’s previous career high was 10 points in a loss at Pittsburgh on Jan.14. – The Hoyas were 11-of-22 from the charity stripe. – St. John’s shot 2-of-16 (12.5 percent) from the field in the first half. – Senior forward Patrick Ewing Jr. returned to the starting lineup with sophomore forward DaJuan Summers out.