Hoyas Drop Finale to Huskies

It was not how the Hoyas wanted to end the regular season.

The Georgetown men’s soccer team wanted to finish its season with a win and enter this week’s playoffs with some momentum.

Instead the Hoyas (10-8-0, 6-5-0 Big East) closed out the year with a 1-0 loss to the No. 7 Connecticut Huskies (12-3-1, 7-3-1) on Saturday night, and Georgetown will enter the postseason with a disappointing 3-6 record for the month of October.

For the fifth time this season, the Hoyas were shut out by their opponent. On Saturday night, the only score of the game came in the 28th minute when Wildcat sophomore forward Chukwudi Chijindu received a cross in the Hoyas’ penalty area and shot it low past Georgetown junior keeper Andrew Keszler. The game winner was Chijindu’s eighth goal of the year.

For the Hoyas, the loss was representative of much of Georgetown’s 2005 season. After leading the Big East in offense in 2004, the Hoyas saw a decline in offensive production this year. In Saturday’s season finale Georgetown managed just four shots for the entire game, considerably lower than the team’s average of 12.9 on the year. The defense, conversely, continued to be solid, with Keszler making seven saves on the night.

With the loss the Hoyas dropped to a fifth seed in the Big East tournament and will travel to Villanova, a fourth seed, on Thursday. The Wildcats (7-7-3, 6-4-1) secured home field advantage with a 3-1 win yesterday over DePaul, who finished the season in last place in the Red Division.

In the regular season matchup between Georgetown and Villanova, the Hoyas defeated the Wildcats 2-0 on Sept. 23 on North Kehoe Field. The Hoyas also eliminated the Wildcats from the quarterfinals of the Big East tournament on penalty kicks last year after time ran out on a 1-1 draw in regulation. Overall, Georgetown holds a 15-6-1 record all-time over Villanova and the Hoyas have won 10 of the last 11 meetings.

The winner of the Georgetown-Villanova match will travel to first-seed Connecticut on Sunday to face the Huskies.

Kickoff in Villanova is set for 1 p.m. on Thursday.