Hoyas Edge Past Wildcats in Upset

So close to an upset, Georgetown nearly had its heart broken with 30 seconds left against Villanova on Saturday in McDonough Gymnasium.

A charging call on Hoya freshman forward Kieraah Marlow after a layup offered the Wildcats another chance to overcome the one-point deficit, 61-60. Villanova (17-8, 10-5), for its part, could not come up with the winning shot and fell short 62-60 in one of Georgetown’s (11-15, 6-9) best games of the year.

“This was a very good win. It was a breathtaking win,” Head Coach Terri Williams-Flournoy said.

The Hoyas countered the Wildcats’ renowned three-point shooting with intense man-to-man defense to stay a step ahead throughout the contest. Even when Villanova started finding the basket in the second half, Georgetown stayed composed down the stretch and placed heavy pressure on its opponent in the tense closing seconds.

“It was a tough game. Villanova is very good,” Williams-Flournoy said. “I’m proud of the kids – they stepped it up.”

The Wildcats submerged the Hoyas in their first matchup this season in mid-January as Georgetown slumped in the first half and Villanova stormed through the second half. This time the Hoyas managed to keep out of the first trap, adjusting after an early 10-point deficit with a 12-2 run to tie the game with five minutes left in the first half at 22-22.

“If we can get our offense going, our defense can get going,” Williams-Flournoy said. “I do think we were executing offensively better.”

Georgetown adapted to Villanova’s perimeter game, forcing the Wildcats to miss several shots to bring the home team back into the game. The Hoyas capped off their comeback with a last-second jumper to go ahead by two at halftime, 33-31. The home team saved itself with 50 percent field goal shooting while Villanova shot 3-for-17 from behind the arc.

Georgetown carried its momentum into the second half, pulling away to a 52-40 lead with 10 minutes to play in the half. Villanova countered with a 17-7 run that included five three-pointers. With just under one minute to go, the game heated up as senior forward Liad Suez netted a three-pointer to bring the game to 61-60.

Marlow could have bought her team some breathing room with her layup, a last-chance drive through two Wildcat defenders. When the whistle sounded, the crowd assumed a foul was called against the defense. The drama flared up when the referee called charging instead, taking away the basket and turning the ball over to Villanova with time for another play.

“No, that was not a charge,” Williams-Flournoy said. “I don’t know. Whether it was or not, she really should have pulled up. I think she had the open shot right away, but Kieraah, freshman, thinks getting closer is better.”

Villanova, however, could only attempt an off-balance three-pointer from junior guard Betsy McManus that bounced off the front of the rim. Senior guard Bethany LeSueur grabbed the rebound for Georgetown and was promptly fouled. Although the Wildcats recovered the ball in the final second, the team could only manage a football pass that was intercepted by LeSueur to wrap up the victory.

“I think [the win] is huge for us as a team this year. We’ve been playing better lately,” LeSueur said. “I think this reinforces that. We’re doing the right things, we’re playing better, we’re working hard everyday.”

Georgetown benefited from Villanova’s weakness at the post, pushing inside for 25 points from its two starting forwards, arlow and senior Varda Tamoulianis. The team also got production from two versatile swing players, LeSueur, with 10 points, and sophomore Kate Carlin, with a team-high 14 points. Tamoulianis picked up the game’s only double-double with 11 boards and 13 points.

“They did a good job studying the tape from last game and seeing what it is we had to improve on,” Williams-Flournoy said.

Despite low point totals, freshman guard Kristin Heidloff and senior guard Mary Lisicky contributed a combined 13 assists.

The Wildcats leaned on sophomore forward Jackie Adamshick and her five three-pointers to buoy them with a total of 19 points. The team finished 11-for-34 from the three-point line and lost the battle for the boards 34-31.

Georgetown has bolstered itself in the Big East standings with the upset. Although the team still sits in ninth place in the conference, a win in its season closer tonight could push it up to the seventh seed entering the tournament next weekend.

The Hoyas will try to sweep the Syracuse Orange (12-14, 4-11) in cDonough Gymnasium tonight at 7:30 p.m. Three seniors will take their final bows after this game: Tamoulianis, Lisicky and senior guard Sarah Jenkins.

“The first time we played Villanova, we weren’t close to the team we are now,” Carlin said. “I think we’ve come along way as a group, which I think is important. I think everyone would agree that going out on top in the end is what’s important.”