Hoyas Fall in Season Finale

No regrets.

It was the one thought that occupied all minds on Kehoe Field Saturday.

It was the one ambition that drove the Georgetown field hockey team. It was written on the players’ faces, in their hits, in their passes and in their shots.

It should have been given a spot on the scoreboard for the role it played in the Hoyas’ season closer against Bucknell.

The Hoyas put up an impressive effort against Bucknell (6-13-0), refusing to give up and let the Bison take over.

Georgetown’s determination showed but was not rewarded. They could not capitalize as often as the Bison, and the Hoyas finished their season with a 3-1 loss, leaving them with a final record of 3-15-0 for the 2004 season.

“It was a game of inches,” Head Coach Laurie Carroll said.

And the inches made all the difference. Both teams were equally matched, and neither dominated possession.

The Hoyas determination showed in their shot tally. They outshot the Bison 18-13, marking only the fifth game this season in which they have managed to outshoot their opponent. Each team had nine shots on goal.

Bucknell was first to the net with junior forward Kelly O’Brien notching the first goal in the ninth minute. The Hoyas did not roll over, however, and tied the game with an unassisted goal by junior midfielder Megan Carroll before the end of the first half.

Georgetown struggled to capitalize in the second half, despite key attempts in the circle. Bucknell, on the other hand, found the net twice within the first six minutes of the second half with goals by freshman forward Lindsey Weller and senior midfielder Cara Turner, each assisted by sophomore forward Katie Urosevich.

And still, despite the two goal deficit, the Hoyas refused to give up, responding with nine shots in the second half. Their effort wasn’t rewarded in enough time, and Georgetown lost their final game of the season, 3-1.

“You can’t control whether you win or lose,” Carroll said. “You give yourself an opportunity to win. .We were taking risks, but [the shots] didn’t fall like we wanted them to.”

Georgetown also took the time Saturday to honor its three senior captains, back Caroline Cole and midfielders Meghan Devaney and eghan Leahy. All three girls have played for four years at Georgetown and contributed much to the team.

The team is already busy developing a strong future, returning eight starters, as well as recruiting more freshmen for their already young team.

“We are looking for mentally tough athletes,” Carroll said.