Hoyas Fight Stiff Winds, Competition Against Ivies

Uneven greens and breezy conditions didn’t stand in the way of the Hoyas continued strong play against the Ivies this season.

Georgetown had one of its best finishes of the season last weekend at the Yale Fall Intercollegiate tournament, placing fourth in a field of 15 universities. The women compiled a two-round score of 70-over 638 at the Yale Golf Course in New Haven, Conn., finishing 19 strokes back of Yale, who won the tournament.

Georgetown Head Coach Patricia Post said that the Bulldogs had a fair amount of home-field advantage at the challenging course. The Yale Golf Course boasts several blind uphill approach shots and especially large and undulating greens.

“The course definitely likes you better if you have some prior knowledge of it,” Post said.

Even though the course layout was fairly new to the team, the Hoyas started off strong on Saturday, posting a combined score of 38-over 322 to leave them in a tie for fifth place with Brown.

“The first day went pretty well,” Post said. “We didn’t putt well as a team, and the wind added another element of stress for the girls. They had to deal with figuring out how to play the wind uphill on several holes.”

Still, the unhelpful breeze didn’t seem to hold up junior Chelsea Curtis, who led the Hoyas with a first round score of six-over 77, putting her into a tie for seventh place in the individual standings, four shots back from the tournament’s firstround leader, Brown’s Blythe Crane.

Seniors Katie Dwyer and Jenna Winokur came in with a pair of 10-over par 81s, followed by junior

Carly Hunt with a 12-over 83, and senior Stephanie Cope with a 14-over par 85.

Going into Sunday’s final round, the team knew that a medal finish was probably not going to be attainable.

“I figured catching the one, two, and three teams would be tough; we would have to shoot lights-out to do it,” Post said. “We’d put ourselves into too much of a hole after the first round to do that.”

Still, the Hoyas made a stab at the top teams on Sunday; Curtis posted her second 77 of the tournament, giving her a two-round total of 12-over 154.

“Chelsea had another great tournament,” Post said. “She’s been playing really solid golf and I think she’ll only get better.”

The Hoyas finished the second round with the fourth-best team score of the day, a 32-over 316, enough to push them up and over Brown in the team standings to a fourth place finish. The women came in behind winner Yale, runner up Harvard, and third-place Rollins. The Blue and Gray finished ahead of the Ivy League’s Dartmouth, Brown and the University of Pennsylvania for the second-consecutive week.

Along with their strong team finish, the Hoyas had three players place in the top 20-five in the individual standings. Curtis’ successive rounds of 77 gave her a fifth-place finish, only two shots back from the tournament’s winner, Yale’s Lindsay Hong.

Curtis was followed by teammates Dwyer in 14th place at 17-over 159 and Hunt in 25th place at 20-over 162.

The Hoyas’ next tournament is the Legends of Indiana in Franklin, Ind., this weekend. This time around, the Hoyas won’t be grappling with an unfamiliar course layout.

“The tournament is being played at a course that the girls have played for two or three years,” Post said. “And we’ll have an extra 18 holes to work with and show our stuff.”