Hoyas Find Their Groove in Second Half

Halftime found Verizon Center rocking to the BeeGees’ 888 hit “Stayin’ Alive,” as “highlights” from the first-half action rolled on the DiamondVision screen. It was a fitting number, for despite a sturdy 13-point lead, it seemed as if the hometown Hoyas were merely staying alive. They had picked up right where they left off Monday night against Pittsburgh, converting only two of their first 11 three-point attempts. They were hanging around in spite of a scoreless first half from floor general Jonathan Wallace, holding on in the face of what appeared to be gale-force winds blowing their field goal attempts off line. The Hoyas had outscored the Fighting Irish 22-8 in the final 10 minutes of the opening frame, but the nation’s fifth-ranked team was exhibiting many of the same failings from Monday’s night pitfall at Pittsburgh. Then the second half began. Georgetown found its form from three, Wallace steadied himself and the Hoyas began thriving instead of merely surviving. The second 20 minutes of Saturday’s contest were reassuring for the sellout crowd, as the Hoyas looked dominant for the first time since their drubbing of DePaul on Jan. 8. They shot 67 percent from beyond the arc. Wallace scrambled for loose balls and scored on scrappy drives to the basket. Austin Freeman glided through the lane and caught open looks from Roy Hibbert on the high post, who powered his way to another 20-plus scoring day. “In the second half, we did a very good job of running our offense,” Head Coach John Thompson III said afterward. “And all of a sudden, the kids see that if we don’t look for the first shot, all of a sudden it’s going to be wide open two or three passes later. We stuck with it and shots were easier.” DaJuan Summers – who Monday suffered through his first scoreless game since the 2006 season opener – rebounded in a big way, cleaning the glass like a bottle of Windex and scoring at will in his normal fashion. When Summers gets dialed in, as he was Saturday, he moves with a quiet assuredness that speaks volumes. It is a confident manner that announces, “This is my world, you guys are only dribbling through it,” to everyone else on the floor. In Pittsburgh Monday night, the sophomore from Baltimore looked as if he had wandered into a seminar on quantum physics. “DaJuan is a cerebral player, and the last couple games, he’s been trying to think through too many situations today – he just came out and played hard,” Thompson said. “It’s amazing how good things happen and the chips fall into place when you just play hard.” Hibbert reasserted himself on the offensive end with his 21-point, five-dime effort, but it was his defensive dismantling of the Big East’s top-scorer, Luke Harangody, that was most impressive. Thompson put the Hoyas in man-to-man and sicced Hibbert on the second-year star forward, who looked like a bamboozled boy with a buzz cut for much of the afternoon. Harangody fouled out two minutes before the final buzzer, visibly frustrated by his harmless 13-point performance. When Hibbert was asked after the game whether he sensed he was getting under his opponent’s skin. He smiled. “Oh yeah,” Hibbert smirked. “He starts taking quick shots, and you can see that look on his face. You have to take advantage of that. When he starts getting down, or their team starts getting down, I feed off of that.” Hibbert’s comments came only minutes after Notre Dame Head Coach Mike Brey spoke about the 7-foot-2 senior’s newfound nastiness. “He’s a great kid, he’s a nice kid, but he’s probably gotten to be more a more cruel competitor,” said Brey, who received a technical foul following a Harangody charge Brey believed was a Hibbert flop. “I mean that as a compliment. I mean, he has gotten crueler about going for the jugular when he’s got somebody down. He’s a very good player, and I’m glad he’s a senior.” After the funeral-parlor whispers following Monday night’s loss, it was good to see Hibbert grinning confidently at the press conference podium. There was a sense of déjà-vu, though, upon hearing Hibbert and Thompson field questions about another brutal Big East two-day turnaround, for it was but a week ago that Hibbert hit his game-winning three and the Hoyas seemed energized for another conference run. But if they learned anything from Pittsburgh – or from Saturday’s first-half woes – it’s that it’s January in the Big East Conference, and anybody’s hot hand can go ice-cold in a snap.