Hoyas Finish Season with Sweep Over ‘Cats

The Georgetown women’s volleyball team finished a difficult and disappointing season last Saturday on a positive note with a three-game sweep over Big East conference foe Villanova. The Hoyas dominated the Wildcats, winning in three games, 15-5, 15-4, 15-5.

Head Coach Li Liu was glad the team pulled through to win the last game of the season but was still disheartened that the team didn’t make the Big East tournament.

“We had a great start,” she said. “When one of our setters quit and we started suffering from some injuries, it went all downhill from there.”

Liu believed the injuries also slowed the momentum of the team and caused the team to lose focus.

In Saturday’s game, senior outside hitter Kiran Gill closed out her Hoya career with a strong performance. She posted a match-high 13 kills and 11 digs with an solid .813 hitting percentage.

Freshman setter Jennifer Ward led the way in assists with a match-high 35 assists, and sophomore outside hitter Lauren Warner and middle blocker Anna Kleinsorge contributed a combined 15 kills in the attack.

Georgetown hit .302 for the match, keeping the Wildcats to a mere .043. The Wildcats held a slight advantage (5-4) in team blocks. Since three seniors will be leaving the team this year, Liu plans to recruit four new freshmen for next year’s team: two middle blockers, one setter and one outside hitter.

“We need to now turn our focus to next year and prepare ourselves in the offseason,” Liu said. “We must learn from our mistakes and keep the momentum going for us next year. I have confidence we can get it together for next year.”

Related Links

Volleyball Team Page

Volleyball Schedule

Volleyball Roster