Hoyas Garner First Win

A balanced offense delivered a 67-59 win for the Georgetown women’s basketball team Sunday as four Hoyas scored in double-digits in their season opener.

All eight of Georgetown’s players contributed in the victory over the independently affiliated Savannah State before 349 people at Tiger Arena.

“Overall, I think we did a pretty decent job,” Georgetown Head Coach Terri Williams-Flournoy said. “It’s still the first game of the year, but to come away with the W is good.”

Senior guard Leslie Tyburski came off the bench to score 12 points in the first half on her way to a career-high 14 on the game.

“She was a great spark for us in the first half,” Williams-Flournoy said. “She came in; she shot the ball well. She didn’t do anything differently than she did in practice.”

After going back and forth in the opening minutes, Georgetown took control, rolling on a 12-0 run to go up 18-4. Georgetown shot 43.8 percent on the first half and sunk four of its eight three-point attempts.

The Hoyas led 38-24 at the half, but they did not escape Savannah, Ga., without a scare. Coming out of halftime, the Hoya offense went dead, and the Tigers took advantage of it by going on a 22-7 run. By the end of the run, Savannah State had a 47-45 advantage thanks to a layup from freshman forward Antoinette Williams with eight minutes remaining.

During that stretch, the Hoyas made only three of their 19 field goal attempts.

“We stopped pushing the ball,” Williams-Flournoy said. “We got a little passive. We were walking the ball up the floor.”

But a renewed effort from the Hoyas put the game out of reach for the Tigers. Senior guard Bethany LeSueur made two well-timed assists to help turn the tide back in Georgetown’s favor, setting up sophomore guard Kristin Heidloff’s three-pointer and, Tyburski’s following layup.

LeSueur had an unusually low-scoring game, managing just four points. Heidloff, however, picked up 14 points on the game.

Sophomore forward Kieraah Marlow, who missed most of the first half after getting into foul trouble, went on to score 11 points and grab eight boards. Her seven turnovers were a liability, however, especially during the 22-7 run by Savannah State.

Williams-Flournoy said she was impressed with freshman forward Katrina Wheeler, who notched nine points and 10 rebounds in her collegiate debut.

Senior guard Kate Carlin made a similar impression, picking up 10 rebounds and nine points.

Tiger sophomore forward Shaunte Carter led all scorers with 17 points.

With the first game of the season under its belt, Georgetown will play its home debut Wednesday night when Mount St. Mary (0-1) comes to McDonough Gymnasium.

“They’re quick. They can shoot the ball,” Williams-Flournoy said. “You can look for quick, athletic guards. They have four players that’s playing very well.”

In that matchup, the Hoyas will look to maintain the balanced offensive attack that gave them their first win.

Tip-off is at 7:30 p.m.

Hoya Notes: Four players have signed national letters of intent to play for Georgetown in the 2006-07 season. Last Monday, Head Coach Terri Williams-Flournoy announced the addition of 6-foot small forward Jaleesa Butler of Alton, Ill., 5-foot-11 shooting guard Meredith Cox of McSherrytown, Pa., and 6-foot-1 power forward Zhondria Benn of Baltimore. On Friday, Williams-Flournoy announced the signing of Kenya Kirkland, a 5-foot-8 guard from Brooklyn, N.Y.