Hoyas Gear Up for Big East Meets

Both the men’s and women’s swimming teams took to the road this past weekend, competing in the Rutgers University Invitational against Rutgers, Seton Hall, Syracuse, St. John’s and Villanova. The meet guaranteed some competitors spots in the Big East Championship meet, scheduled for this Thursday through Saturday at the Goodwill Games Swimming Center in Uniondale, N.J.

Though several swimmers qualified for the championship meet, the highlight of the meet was sophomore Brian Evangelista’s record-breaking performance in the 100-yard fly. Evangelista finished in 51.72 seconds, breaking Zal Devitre’s 5-year-old school record of 52.19. His performance qualified him for the championship meet, but wasn’t enough to outdo Syracuse’s Ben Henri and Dave Hanthorn, who squeaked by with times of 51.17 and 51.64, respectively.

Four other Hoyas qualified for the Big East championships this past weekend. Sophomore Lauren Moynihan qualified to compete in the 1650-yard freestyle, winning the invite’s heat as well as the 400-yard IM at Rutgers. Junior captain Caragh Moynihan qualified for the 100-yard freestyle, placing second with a time of 53.32 and improving on her performance in the competition against Delaware last week where she finished in 55.30. Caragh will also compete in the 50-yard freestyle and the 100-yard fly. Freshman Kathryn Harrison qualified to compete in one-meter diving and freshman Juliana Bonilla qualified for the 10-meter platform.

Five other Hoyas will compete this weekend at the championships. Junior Chris Lengle will compete in the 50-, 100- and 200-meter freestyle, Junior Will Miller will compete in the 100-meter backstroke and Junior Matt O’Connor will swim relay events. On the women’s side, Sophomore Genna McKeel will swim in the 50-yard freestyle and the 100- and 200-yard breaststroke events, while fellow sophomore Kristie Hunt will compete in the 100-meter breaststroke.

The teams ended their regular season on a mixed note a week ago, victorious in one of four meets heading into postseason competition. The men’s team lost to Drexel 157-86 in Philadelphia and defeated Delaware 135-108 at Yates Field House in the season finale. The women’s squad suffered a close 121-119 loss to Drexel and lost to Delaware, 147-96.

Related Links

Swimming Team Pages

Men’s Swimming Schedule

Women’s Swimming Schedule