Hoyas Get Revenge on Monarchs

NORFOLK, Va. – Although the No. 5 Hoyas were greeted with a cheer of “Overrated!” from the Old Dominion student section as the players took the floor for pre-game warm-ups, Georgetown had the last word with a 66-48 win.

Last year, the Monarchs handed the Hoyas a hard-to-swallow 75-62 loss in McDonough Gymnasium. It was the first time in 24 years that Georgetown lost a game in its on-campus arena. This time around, the Hoyas (4-0) won on the Monarchs’ home court, the Constant Center, before a capacity crowd of 8,424.

“I think I knew our guys remembered the game,” Head Coach John Thompson III said in a press conference after the game. “But it’s about us.”

Though Old Dominion’s record falls to 3-4 with the loss, its match against Georgetown marked the Monarchs’ third-straight game against a top-10 opponent this season. In last week’s Las Vegas Invitational, Old Dominion put up respectable efforts in a 99-82 loss to No. 1 North Carolina and a 64-53 defeat to No. 6 Louisville.

Though Old Dominion’s only lead over Georgetown came in the second minute of the game, when senior center Sam Harris put the first two points of the night on the board, the Monarchs kept the Hoyas on their toes throughout the first half. Georgetown was only able to get a margin of more than two possessions twice during the first period.

Old Dominion sophomore forward Gerald Lee put up a layup to tie the game at 21-21 with three and a half minutes left, but it would be the last time that the Monarchs would threaten to take control of the score. The Hoyas went into intermission with a 30-23 lead thanks to dunks by freshman guard Austin Freeman and senior center Roy Hibbert in the last two minutes.

The Hoyas began to pull away in the second half as they dominated the Monarchs inside: Georgetown had 22 points in the paint during the second half while Old Dominion had 12. Sophomore forward Vernon Macklin put up six points in the second period on three nice dunks.

“Right before the half, we were our own worst enemy, and they showed their experience,” Old Dominion Head Coach Blaine Taylor said in the press conference. “Give them a lead, and you’re in for a long night.”

Hibbert finished with 14 points and 10 rebounds, but he had to sit down with five minutes and 32 seconds left on the clock as he picked up his fourth foul. Freeman would go on to tally 11 points in the game.

Old Dominion’s Lee led all players in points and rebounds with 24 and 12, respectively. He was the only Monarch to score in double digits.