Hoyas Go 5-7 During Early Season Stretch

After nearly two weeks without setting foot on a field, Georgetown baseball completed the busiest portion of their schedule on Wednesday, a stretch that saw the team play 12 games in 13 days.

Georgetown was 5-7 during the stretch and picked up its first Big East victory of the year.

Georgetown (6-9 overall, 1-2 in the Big East) traveled to Orlando on March 7 to compete in Rollins College Baseball Week. The Hoyas finished the tournament with a record of 3-4, claiming victories against host Rollins and two comeback wins against Toledo.

“I was very pleased from where we were coming from,” Head Coach Pete Wilk said. “We hadn’t been on a baseball field in weeks. We’ve got a special bunch of kids that enjoy each other’s company and are all working towards the same goal. I think it was an extremely positive trip off the field as well.”

Three Georgetown players were named to the all-tournament team, including Sizemore, sophomore Ron Cano and freshman Danny Gronski. Surprisingly, junior Michael Lombardi was not named to the team as a catcher after hitting .500 (14-of-28) with seven RBI in seven games.

“The fact that Lombardi didn’t make the all-tournament team was a farce,” Wilk said. “Michael Lombardi carried this club for a week on his shoulders and he was robbed.

Hopefully Michael will use that as something to keep in the back of his mind as a motivating factor.”

Georgetown was supposed to have its home opener last weekend, but poor conditions at Shirley Povich Field forced the Hoyas to again play a “home” game in southern Virginia, this time at War Memorial Stadium in Newport News.

The Hoyas were swept in Saturday’s doubleheader, losing to Boston College 4-1 and 5-1. Although Georgetown’s offense struggled, the team’s pitching was solid. Sophomore Eddie Pena suffered his second loss of the season in the opening game, despite going the distance and allowing only two earned runs while striking out seven. Sophomore Travis Danysh struggled early in the second game but settled in to go eight innings while allowing only three runs.

The Hoyas rebounded from the losses, as they pounded the Eagles on Sunday, 11-4. It was Georgetown’s first Big East win of the season. Sizemore pitched effectively, earning his third win of the year. Sizemore’s 3-0 record and 3.65 earned run lead all starters. Freshman Steven Burns earned the save by pitching the final three innings, including a perfect ninth to seal the deal. Carullo continued to shine from the second spot of the lineup, hitting 3-for-4 with two runs and two RBI.

“When we recruited [Sizemore] we thought he’d be an impact kid and he has been,” Wilk said. “The team plays differently behind him because they know he’s going to attack the hitters. It just creates an aggressive atmosphere. People are watching him pitch and the way he does it and he’s raising the bar, if you will.”

Assistant Coach Doc Beeman, who works with the pitchers, agreed.

“I think the young pitchers have really stepped the game and are starting to pitch like upperclassman,” he noted. “I think it’s really made the upperclassmen step up their game as well.”

Georgetown finally had its home opener on Tuesday, more than five weeks into the season, against George Washington. Unfortunately, the homecoming was soured by the Colonials, who scored six runs in the eighth and held on to win 13-8. The Hoyas struggled from the mound. Abbott started but could not get out of the first inning while the bullpen allowed ten runs. Sophomore Andrew Cleary was the star on offense, going 2-for-4 with a home run and four RBI.

On Wednesday the Hoyas traveled to Glen Burnie, Md. and defeated Coppin State, 11-5. The Hoyas scored seven runs in the last three innings, led by Quinn’s record day at the plate. He went 3-for-3 but contributed two triples, tying the school record set by Roger Harrington in 1994 and 1995. Coincidentally, both of Harrington’s two-triple games were also against Coppin State.

Georgetown faces the University of Connecticut (3-8) at Shirley Povich Field in Bethesda, Md., this weekend.