Hoyas Go Three Strikes And Out Versus UConn

Jon Shoup-Mendizbal/The Hoya Georgetown baseball is suffering, following three consecutive losses at home at Connecticut.

The Georgetown baseball team lost three consecutive games last weekend against Big East rival University of Connecticut at Shirley Povich Field in Bethesda, Md.

The Hoyas (6-11, 1-5 Big East) pitched erratically during the series, while struggling to find a rhythm on offense. The Hoyas were swept by the Huskies, 6-2, 9-5 and 6-4.

“I don’t think we pitched too well in any of the games,” Head Coach Pete Wilk said. “I don’t think we got ahead in the count. In this conference you’re in deep trouble if you don’t get ahead in the count.”

The first game of Saturday’s doubleheader started well for the Hoyas. Freshman Danny Gronski’s blooper single behind second base scored junior Michael Lombardi and gave Georgetown an early 1-0 lead.

Connecticut answered soon after, scoring three runs off sophomore Eddie Pena in the top of the third inning to pull ahead, 3-1.

Georgetown was able to close the deficit to one run in the bottom of the fourth. With two outs in the inning, sophomore Jim Supple beat out a bunt down the first-base line and moved to second on a single by freshman Timmy Jones. Supple scored from second when Connecticut shortstop Brett Burnham misplayed a groundball by junior Ron Cano.

The Huskies gave themselves more breathing room, as a walk and a home run to start the fifth inning chased Pena from the game. Freshman Steven Burns pitched well in relief of Pena, working three innings while allowing just one hit, a two-out home run in the sixth inning that put Connecticut ahead, 6-2. The Huskies shut down Georgetown the rest of the way for the victory, and handed Pena his third loss of the season.

The Hoya bats remained silent for much of the second game of the doubleheader. After scoring a run in the second, Georgetown was held hitless until the seventh inning.

Connecticut entered the top of the fourth inning already leading 2-1, but added four more runs to take a commanding lead. The turning point came when, after a leadoff walk, sophomore Travis Danysh cleanly fielded a tapper back to the pitcher for what looked to be a double play. But Danysh’s throw was wide of second base, and both runners were safe. On the next play, sophomore catcher Andrew Cleary fielded a bunt but was unable to make a throw, loading the bases en route to a four-run inning that put the Huskies ahead 6-1.

“You can’t dig yourself a hole like that,” Wilk commented. “A leadoff walk is a mental error. And at this level, you need to turn that play, and it hurt us.”

Trailing 8-1 in the seventh, the Hoyas scored two runs on an RBI double by senior Rob O’Hare and a sacrifice fly by Cleary. Connecticut tacked on one more run on a solo homer by Burnham in the eighth inning, and the Hoyas entered their last at bat facing a 9-3 deficit.

Quinn doubled to start the ninth, and scored on a single by Lombardi. O’Hare’s second double of the scored Lombardi, and the Hoyas trailed by three with none out and a runner on second. The comeback proved to be too little too late, however, as Connecticut’s Mike James came in and shut down the Hoyas to save the Huskies’ 9-5 win.

Freshman Warren Sizemore took the mound for the Hoyas in Sunday’s game, having won his previous two starts. Sizemore started strong and enjoyed an early lead when his teammates scored a run in the bottom of the first to give the Hoyas an early 1-0 edge.

Sizemore ran into trouble in the top of the fourth inning. Cano, who is filling in at shortstop for injured junior Parker Brooks, had a fine day in the field overall but his throwing error to start the inning led to an unearned run that tied the game.

The Huskies added two more runs in the fifth inning to take the lead, but the Hoyas came back to tie the game, 3-3. Senior Matt Carullo led off the inning with a double to deep center, and scored two outs later on a home run to left field by Cleary.

Connecticut struck back in the top of the sixth. Sizemore got two quick outs, but a single, a walk, and a single loaded the bases with two outs. Georgetown nearly escaped the inning without allowing a run, but a throwing error by Cano allowed two runs to score. The Huskies added one more run in the seventh inning off sophomore Mike Halloran to take a 6-3 lead.

O’Hare brought Georgetown close after his leadoff homer in the eighth inning, a towering drive just inside the right-field foul pole. After the blast, however, the Hoyas went down on six straights outs to end the game, 6-4, and to wrap up a disappointing weekend for Georgetown.

Georgetown’s next game is Wednesday at 3 p.m., against the University of Maryland-Baltimore County at Shirley Povich Field. Junior Kevin Field (1-2, 10.20 earned run average) will start for the Hoyas.