Hoyas’ Green Wins League’s Highest Honor

Junior forward Jeff Green was named the Big East player of the year at the league’s postseason awards gala on Tuesday night at the Grand Hyatt Hotel in Manhattan. League coaches chose the Hoyas’ junior forward over teammate Roy Hibbert, Pittsburgh senior center Aaron Gray, Syracuse senior forward Demetris Nichols and Providence senior center Herbert Hill, all of whom were unanimous first team all-league selections.

“In the games that mattered most for Georgetown, [Green] seemed to make the plays that mattered the most,” Big East Commissioner Mike Tranghese said as he presented the award. “And for his outstanding season, he joins an incredible list of previous Georgetown players that have won the award. It’s a who’s who of names.”

Green, who averaged 13.6 points, 5.9 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 1.2 blocks per game, joins Alonzo Mourning (COL ’92), Charles Smith (CAS ’89), Reggie Williams (CAS ’87), Patrick Ewing (CAS ’85) and John Duren (CAS ’80) as Hoyas who have won the award.

No school has had as many winners as Georgetown.

“First I’d like to thank Coach [John Thompson III] for giving me the opportunity to play in this style of offense and to play on a team like this,” Green said as he accepted his award. “I’d like to thank [my family] and I’d like to thank my teammates for making me look good out there.

“And that’s it. Thank you,” he concluded with a giggle.

Green is one of just six players who have won both Big East player of the year and rookie of the year. Ewing, Pittsburgh’s Charles Smith, Syracuse’s Derrick Coleman, Troy Murphy of Notre Dame and Troy Bell of Boston College are the other five. Two seasons ago, Green shared the rookie award with UConn’s Rudy Gay.

Tranghese noted in his presentation that voting for this year’s honor was perhaps the closest it has ever been.

Georgetown returns to action Thursday at noon against the winner of Today’s Villanova-DePaul matchup.