Hoyas Hot From Three as GU Wins 89-53

Jeff Green, welcome to your junior year.

In the eighth game of the season, Georgetown’s much-hyped forward finally lived up to his high billing, dominating the James Madison Dukes (2-5) and leading the Hoyas (5-3) to an 89-53 win at Verizon Center Tuesday night.

In only 24 minutes of play, Green lit up the Dukes for 17 points on 6-of-8 shooting. He didn’t miss a shot in the first half (4-for-4 from two-point range, 3-for-3 from behind the arc, 2-of-2 at the free throw line) and looked both aggressive and comfortable on the floor for the first time this season.

“I wanted to come out quick and get my confidence up,” Green said. “I’ve been throwing up a lot of shots to get it back and I got some layups early, so it was good.”

Coming off back-to-back losses, the entire Hoya squad had a tremendous night, shooting nearly 60 percent from the floor and nearly 50 percent from behind the arc, tying the Georgetown single-game record for most threes netted in a game of 16. Four Hoyas scored in double-digits, and as a team Georgetown dished out a season-high 27 assists, while committing a season-low eight turnovers.

The Hoyas’ 89 points mark their highest point total since John Thompson III arrived on the Hilltop prior to 2004-05, passing the team’s previous high of 87 points against then-No. 1 Duke in January. The 36-point margin of victory also marks the Hoyas’ largest win since a 69-34 win over the Citadel in 2004.

“The past week has been long,” Thompson said. “I think we grew this week. I think we will continue to make progress, and we will continue hopefully just to improve. Hopefully along the way, we can win some games, but I think as a team we grew this week.”

From the Hoyas’ first possession of the game Green looked outstanding. He scored Georgetown’s first points of the night after receiving the ball 15 feet from the basket and taking it down the lane for an effortless kiss off the glass.

“They gave me the open lane so I just went in for the easy layup,” Green said of his first basket. “I think it set the tone for my teammates – that we needed to start out early. I think it helped us out.”

The Dukes responded with a trey from redshirt sophomore guard Joe Posey, but the Hoyas tied it back up at on a free throw by junior center Roy Hibbert and from there Georgetown jumped out to a 12-point lead in the next five minutes, 19-7.

Led by Green’s flawless shooting and some offensive firepower from guards junior Jonathan Wallace and sophomore Jessie Sapp – who before the break scored eight and ten points, respectively, and combined for 7-of-12 shooting from three-point range – Georgetown stretched its lead to as many as 18. The Hoyas dished out 13 assists on 17 baskets and also hit nine shots from behind the arc in the first 20 minutes, more treys than Georgetown had sunk in any complete game yet this season.

The Hoyas went to the locker room with a commanding 47-29 lead and avoided falling off in the second by continuing to play near-perfect basketball.

A little more than four-and-a-half minutes into the second frame, Hoya fans got what they have been looking for all season. Hibbert found Green streaking off a high-low screen for a beautiful one-handed slam that typified the Princeton offense and was just what Thompson has been expecting since the season opener. The play provided a spark for the Hoyas, who continued their offensive dominance, outscoring the Dukes 42-22 in the second half.

James Madison freshman guard Pierre Curtis did his best to carry his team with fourteen points and five assists, but the Dukes had no chance of matching Georgetown’s offensive firepower. Defensively, Hibbert loomed large in the post for the Hoyas, swatting opposing shots on two consecutive drives, propelling the preseason first team all-Big East selection into the ranks of the top 10 Hoyas in career blocks with 120.

Junior forward Patrick Ewing Jr. came in for Green with a little over 10 minutes left in the game, ending Green’s night and marking Ewing’s first appearance since the Oregon loss last Wednesday. Ewing combined with freshman center Vernon Macklin, who also did not play against Duke, for a solid offensive output off the bench. Ewing displayed his ability to jam down low on a pretty alley-oop pass from Sapp, and Macklin provided his share of gravity-defying dunks en route to a perfect shooting night and seven points.

The win was just what the Hoyas needed coming off of two straight losses and heading into this Saturday’s game with upset-minded Oral Roberts, who has already knocked off then-second-ranked Kansas this season.

Tip-off is set for 1 p.m. at Verizon Center.