Hoyas Impress at Penn. Relays

Georgetown track and field sent an elite field of runners to Philadelphia last weekend for the 113th Penn Relays, one of the most renowned events in the country.

In Thursday’s action, senior Brian Dalpiaz won the college heat of the men’s steeplechase, running an NCAA East Regional time of 9:05.25. Sophomore Alex Mason was eighth in the Championship of America steeplechase in an IC4A time of 9:08.29.

“Brian did a very nice job in his heat,” Director of Track and Field Ron Helmer said. “It was too bad he wasn’t in a faster heat, but winning the race is all you can ask for.”

Junior Dan Nunn was 11th in the 5000-meter championship race, setting an NCAA regional mark of 14:07.53. Senior Andre LaBoy was 13th in 14:12.23, qualifying for the IC4A championships, while sophomore Mike Krisch ran 14:43.10 in the college race.

Sophomore Buky Bamigboye won her heat in the 400m hurdles in 1:00.62, a regional mark, but was 13th overall for the event.

On Friday, sophomore Maggie Infeld, graduate student Hilary Bontz, freshman Renee Tomlin and junior Joanna Rodgers combined to cross in third and run 17:44.52 in the 4x1500m, the fourth fastest time ever in Georgetown history.

“That relay was one of our stronger groups for the weekend,” Helmer said.

In other action, senior Ashley Mondie was fourth in the eastern section of the women’s triple jump with a distance of 39 feet 1 inch, an ECAC-qualifying mark.

Saturday, the Hoyas were third in 16:25.09 behind the efforts of sophomore Andrew Bumbalough, redshirt freshman Levi Miller, graduate student Fleet Hower and junior Matt Debole in the 4×1-mile relay.

“Those guys ran real well, beating a lot of solid teams and getting beat by two very talented relays from Texas and Wisconsin,” Helmer said.

The Georgetown women’s 4x400m relay of senior Nichole Torpey, senior Jayne Penn, junior Ashley Hubbard and Bamigboye won the ECAC final of the 4x400m relay, running an NCAA East regional time of 3:41.74. In the Thursday qualifying heat, Bamigboye and Hubbard did not run because of a conflicting event and in the preliminaries, a dropped baton combined with the absence of their two top runners nearly scuttled Georgetown’s chances to qualify. They earned the last qualifying time in the ECAC heat.

“Considering the dropped baton and the subbing back in of Ashley and Buky, we did well to win that heat even though we qualified at the bottom,” Helmer said.

The Hoyas were seventh in the men’s 4x800m Championship of America in a time of 7:25.43. Three freshmen, Danny Harris, Alex Bean and John Maloy, and graduate student Stanley Lagrenade comprised the Georgetown quartet.

Georgetown was seventh in the women’s 4x800m Championship of America race. Tomlin, Bontz, Hubbard and senior Nana Hanson-Hall combined to run 8:40.80, an ECAC-qualifying mark.

The Big East championships at the University of Connecticut are up next for Georgetown. The Hoyas will be without junior Elizabeth aloy, a NCAA regional-qualifier in the 1500m, who is sidelined by a nagging foot injury.

“Hopefully she’s back by the ECAC’s in a couple weeks, and if not she’ll definitely be ready to go for the NCAA’s in four weeks,” Helmer said.

The women’s side is coming off a Big East indoor championship and is in contention for an outdoor title as well.

“There are more middle distance event during the indoor season, which certainly favored us,” Helmer said. “Notre Dame and UConn are pretty strong, so it’ll be tough to take the outdoor crown as well. We won the indoors by performing well as a team, and we’ll have to do the same to have a good shot this weekend.”

The Big East championships begin Friday in Storrs, Conn.