Hoyas Ink New Stars for 2004-05 Campaign

The Georgetown men’s basketball team announced Thursday that four high school student-athletes have signed official letters of intent for the 2004-05 season. In the first few days of the NCAA early signing period, Cornelio Guibunda, Tyler Crawford, Roy Hibbert and Jeff Green have committed to become members of the Georgetown University Class of 2008.

Cornelio Guibunda averaged 25.2 points, 14 rebounds and almost eight blocks as a junior at the King and Low Heywood Thomas School in Stamford, Conn. Ranked the No. 16 center in the country by College Basketball magazine, the 6-9 power forward just started playing basketball six years ago. After a long New England recruiting drought (Patrick Ewing was the last scholarship athlete from the region in 1981), Guibunda becomes the first signee from the Constitution state since 1963.

Guibunda is a native of Mozambique, where his father still sits on the Supreme Court. Guibunda chose Georgetown over Miami (Fla.), Virginia, Michigan, Villanova and Rutgers.

Future Hoya Tyler Crawford has called his letter of intent a dream come true. “Georgetown is a perfect fit for me academically and athletically,” Crawford told his hometown Staunton News Leader. “Since I was a little kid, I kept telling my parents Georgetown was the college for me. I almost want to pinch myself to make sure it’s real.”

Known for his excellent three-point shot and rebounding skills, Crawford averaged 16 points and 12.4 rebounds at Robert E. Lee High School in Staunton, Va. At 6-3, the top-200 recruit could see time as a shooting guard or small forward.

Local favorite Roy Hibbert, another top-200 recruit, will join the squad from nearby Georgetown Prep in North Bethesda, Md. Hibbert, who is still only 16 years old, played just 12 games in his junior year because of a broken foot. At 7-2, the center averages 15.3 points, 14 rebounds, 4.3 blocks and 2.7 assists for the Little Hoyas.

Finally, the Hoyas will add Jeff Green, a 6-8 forward from Hyattsville, Md., to their roster. In his junior season at Northwestern High School, Green averaged 16 points, 11 rebounds and four blocked shots. Green chose to sign with Georgetown over Syracuse, Maryland, Clemson and George Washington.