Hoyas Jump on Rutgers Early

The final score did not reflect a blowout, but, really, Rutgers never had a chance.

Georgetown scored the game’s first six goals, led 6-1 at the half and steadily defended its advantage in the second half en route to a 9-3 road victory Saturday afternoon.

Senior attacker Coco Stanwick scored an unassisted goal three minutes into the game to get the Hoyas (5-2, 2-0 Big East) going. Before Stanwick netted her second of four goals with 18 seconds remaining on the clock, senior attackers Britany Baschuk and Schuyler Sutton also tallied unassisted goals.

The Scarlet Knights (6-2, 1-1) did not score their first goal of the game until a free-position shot with one second left in the first half made it past senior goalie Maggie Koch.

Still, while Georgetown’s first-half offense was sharp, its defense was the key to victory.

“[Koch and the defense] kind of build off of each other,” Head Coach Ricky Fried said. “When she saves the ball, they get more confidence. When they play with more confidence, she is able to save the ball more often because we give up the right shots. They’re starting to play off each other, and that’s a good thing for our team.”

Koch made 14 saves and allowed only two goals.

Rutgers responded first after the break, pushing the score to 6-2. But the Scarlet Knights would have a scoring drought that lasted for 24:32. During this time, the Hoyas scored three goals – two by Stanwick, and one by junior attacker Zan Morley, giving her two on the afternoon.

Although they came away with the victory, the Hoyas came off the field tying their season-low offensive output of nine goals with their 9-8 victory over Syracuse in double overtime.

“Offensively we were a little stagnant but had enough production to pull the game off,” Fried said. “We just didn’t have a great day catching and throwing. So, its one of those things that we know we can do very well. It’s just a matter of focus for us.”

Georgetown will get its next shot when it faces William and Mary on Tuesday. The opening draw is slated for 7 p.m.

“They’re very athletic, a little down right now because they’ve had some tough losses, but they’re very capable,” Fried said. “So, the big emphasis is to . focus on the level of play that we want to establish for ourselves and sustain for the rest of the season.”