Hoyas ‘Live on Edge,’ But Win

The Hoyas keep on winning, albeit by the slimmest of margins.

“We’re living on the edge,” Head Coach Dave Urick said.

No. 5 Georgetown squeaked by No. 19 Fairfield (5-3, 1-3 ECAC) 8-7 at the Multi-Sport Facility last Saturday and overcame a slow start to top a struggling Mount St. Mary’s squad 11-4 in Emmitsburg, Md., on Tuesday.

The Hoyas’ win over Fairfield was their third one-goal victory this season. Georgetown (7-2, 3-0) has recorded five of its seven wins by two goals or fewer.

“We’re scratching our heads at times as to why we can’t put teams away,” Urick said. “I think a lot of it is self-inflicted wounds, but I think we have to give the other teams some credit as well.”

Fairfield certainly made it difficult for the Hoyas to pull away last Saturday. Georgetown needed a goal from freshman midfielder Scott Kocis with just 1:45 remaining in the fourth quarter to finish off the Stags.

“We knew that Fairfield was going to give us their best effort,” senior attacker Trevor Casey said. “They had lost two games in a row, and we beat them up there last year, and they were all fired up because they needed to have a big win to get into the [NCAA] tournament. We knew their intensity level was going to be high, and we had to match that.”

Sophomore attacker Ben Hostetler’s first career goal, with 53 seconds left in the second quarter, gave Georgetown a 5-2 lead going into halftime. But Fairfield scored three quick goals to tie the game halfway through the third quarter.

“I thought we played very well in the second quarter, but we just let them off the hook a little bit in the third quarter,” Urick said.

Junior attacker Brendan Cannon scored an unassisted goal with 7:55 left in the third quarter and junior attacker Andrew Baird scored on Cannon’s assist with 32 seconds left in the period to give the Hoyas a 7-5 lead going into the final quarter.

Then Fairfield responded once again, scoring back-to-back goals on two assists from senior attacker Chris Manley to tie the game with 12 minutes left.

Georgetown freshman midfielder Spencer Gantsoudes forced a key turnover to set up the possession that resulted in Kocis’ game winner.

“We tracked them down over the midfield line and Spencer Gantsoudes, a freshman, got a check in on a guy on the far side of the field, put the ball on the ground, and it went out of bounds,” Urick said. “We cleared it on the restart and held it and eventually scored on that possession.”

Seven different players scored for Georgetown in the game. Against Mount Saint Mary’s, 10 different Hoyas scored.

Casey said that the Hoyas’ balanced scoring makes it difficult for teams to focus their defense on individual players.

“We don’t have one all-star,” Casey said. “We just have a solid cast of guys – everybody can step up when they need to.”

It took the Hoyas a while to step up against Mount Saint ary’s (1-7). The Hoyas led by only one goal at halftime, 3-2.

“At halftime, we all just looked each other in the eyes and said that we’re a lot better than this,” Casey said.

But the Mountaineers tied the game with 8:25 remaining in the third quarter. Then the Georgetown offense really kicked into gear. The Hoyas scored six goals in the next 12 minutes of play.

“We wore them down a little bit and got away from them in the fourth quarter,” Urick said.

Junior defender Clayton Hall, freshman attacker/midfielder Chris Schuville, senior midfielder Dave Bauer and sophomore midfielder Dan Vinson all scored their first career goals in the game.

The Hoyas next take on No. 13 Loyola (5-3, 3-1) in an important league matchup on Saturday at the MSF at 1 p.m.

“A lot of us have been looking forward to this game all season,” Casey said. “They were one of three teams that beat us last year.”

Urick said the Greyhounds are dangerous because they have many seniors on their roster and excellent team speed.

“They’re as fast a team as we’ve played in terms of getting up and down the field, so we’ve got to be tuned in to that,” Urick said.