Hoyas Make Second ECAC Tournament

FIELD HOCKEY Hoyas Make Second ECAC Tournament By Julie Wood Hoya Staff Writer

Gabe Cappelli/The Hoya Senior midfielder Cecilia Kline has at least one game left as a Hoya.

Capping off an 11-5 season, the Georgetown University field hockey team was selected to participate in the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference Division I Field Hockey Championship.

The Hoyas garnered the second seed in the four-team tournament and will face No. 3-seed Drexel tomorrow. The other side of the bracket features No. 1 seed (and tournament host)

Dartmouth against No. 4 seed Providence College.

Georgetown made its first-ever postseason appearance when it was given the fourth seed in last year’s ECAC tournament. The Hoyas lost to Dartmouth in the first round to end the winningest season in program history. This year’s 11-5 record was the third best in Georgetown history.

Additionally, senior midfielder Aubrey Bruggeman was chosen to play in the 2001 National Field Hockey Coaches’ Association Division I North/South Senior All-Star game, and senior defender Bridget McConnell was selected as an alternate. Nineteen players and four alternates were named to each of the respective teams, who will play Nov. 17 at Kent State.

Bruggeman had five goals and nine assists in 2001. She is second in career assists and tied for fifth in career points on Georgetown’s all-time records list. McConnell had three defensive saves this season as well as her first career goal and one assist. She is second in career defensive stops.

Georgetown will face Drexel at 2 p.m. tomorrow at Dartmouth College. If the Hoyas win against Drexel, they will face the winner of the Dartmouth-Providence match this Sunday at 1 p.m.

2001 Field Hockey Team Page Schedule