Hoyas Post Top-10 Finishes

The Hoyas traveled to Terre Haute, Ind. this weekend where they competed in the 2006 NCAA Pre-National meet and returned with a pair of top-10 team finishes in a field of over 170 combined men’s and women’s teams.

The men’s team finished fifth overall with a total score of 274 points. Colorado took home the men’s championship with a score of 75 points. The trio of Florida State, North Carolina State and UC Santa Barbara finished ahead of Georgetown as well. While on the on women’s side, the Hoyas ran to an eighth-place finish with at total score of 294 points. North Carolina State won with 117 points.

The Hoya performance was led by sophomore Andrew Bumbalough who finished the 8000-meter course in 23:59. Bumbalough crossed the line in 12th place.

“I was pleased with Andrew’s performance,” Assistant Coach Pat Henner said. “He’s risen as a leader on this leader and runs tough.”

Providence senior Martin Fagan won the individual race in 23:31 to pace his team to a sixth place finish behind the Hoyas.

The duo of senior Matt Debole and junior Justin Scheid were the next Hoyas to cross the line with finishes of 48th and 53rd. They completed the course with times of 24:28 and 24:30.

Junior Michael Banks and senior Matt Debole rounded out the scorers for the meet. They crossed the line in 24:39 and 24:51 with respective of 68th and 93rd.

“We have all the pieces of the puzzle to have a great season now its just time to start putting them together,” Henner said.

The top women’s pair of Senior Elizabeth Maloy and junior elissa Grelli led the Hoya charge with 10th and 18th place finishes respectively. They finished the 6000m race with times of 20:29 and 20:39.

“We have a solid one-two punch from Liz and Melissa, and also a lot of depth up front,” Director of Track and Field and Cross Country Ron Helmer said.

Junior Maggie Infeld was the next Hoya in with a 21:20 performance good for 59th place.

Rounding out the Hoya scorers was the senior Joanna Rodger and junior Jennie Funk in 100th and 107th places, respectively. They completed the race in 21:44 and 21:47.

In the women’s open race, freshmen Renee Tomlin and Lauren Gregory ran notable performances of 21:50 and 22:18 to finish 13th and 35th.

“We are definitely back to where we would like to be at this point in the season,” Helmer said.

The Hoyas will next run at the Big East Championships held in Boston, Mass. on Oct. 27.