Hoyas Pounce on Tigers

After games against crosstown rivals Catholic and Maryland, the Georgetown club hockey team record stood at 1-1. The Hoyas, who play mainly in Division III, thought they would be in for a tough match against the Princeton Tigers, a Division II team. But with most of the crowd at Baker Memorial Rink in New Jersey rooting for the Hoyas, Georgetown ran away with the win, 6-2.

The Hoyas enjoyed the feeling of a “home” crowd even though they traveled to Princeton’s home rink. Hoya parents were out in full force cheering on Georgetown. A total of nine players hail from the New York-New Jersey area, including sophomore forwards Anthony Scillia and Keith Mazza, freshmen forward Mike Sussman and goalie Casey Yarger.

Georgetown came out ready to play in the first period. With junior Patrick Winter in goal, the Hoyas shut out Princeton while scoring two goals. Scillia netted the first goal, and the second came from sophomore forward Charlie Gerbron.

The sticks became hot for both teams in the second period. The Hoyas took control and saw their biggest lead of the game at 4-0 after two goals early in the period. Freshman forward Jamie Michal came up with the first score. Mazza added a power play goal a few minutes later. Princeton then came back, cutting the Hoyas’ lead to 4-2. The score at the end of the second period was 5-2 after junior forward Trevor Martin tallied another goal for the Hoyas.

The final goal came after Michal scored his second of the game on a power play in the third period.

According to Winter, the game was a big win.

“It was a clean, well-played and physical game against a good team,” he said.

Both teams kept the rough play to a minimum, and there were very few penalties in the game. Head Coach Rich Calnan lauded the team effort. “We played three lines tonight,” he said. “All of them had goals.”

The shots on goal for both teams were even, but Calnan says the difference was the goaltending for Georgetown. All three goalies were used in the game – Winter, graduate student Jason Barker in the second period and Yarger in the third.

The Hoyas’ next game is Thursday, against American at Fort Dupont Rink in D.C. This is the first league game of the season for Georgetown. Calnan sees American as an unpredictable team but he says, “it’s important that we get the season off on a good start.”