Hoyas Pull Out 70-60 Win From Tough Tide

The biggest game thus far on the Hoyas’ out-of-conference schedule fulfilled its promise of being a tough match-up, but tonight, No. 5 Georgetown managed to continue its six-game win streak with a hard-fought 70-60 victory against a solid Alabama team poised for an upset.

The Crimson Tide (4-3) led the Hoyas (6-0) 57-56 with four minutes left in the game, but sophomore forward DaJuan Summers sank a three-pointer to give Georgetown the final edge it needed. Until that point, the Hoyas had not been able to get more than a three-point lead over the Tide, but starting with Summers’ basket, Georgetown reeled off a 14-3 run to win the game on a high note.

The 60 points that Alabama scored is the most that Georgetown has allowed this season. The Tide, which grabbed eight steals off of Georgetown, took advantage of every time that the Hoyas made mistakes to create offense for themselves, but still, Georgetown had a season-high 15 turnovers in the game.

The 35-33 score in the Tide’s favor at halftime marked the first time that the Hoyas have trailed going into the break.

Although the game, part of the inaugural Big East-SEC Invitational, took place on a neutral court, the Birmingham-Jefferson Civic Center, there was a sizeable turnout from Tide fans who made the short drive from Tuscaloosa.

Alabama’s six-foot-nine junior forward Richard Hendrix lived up to the hype of his match-up with fellow Wooden Award nominee Roy Hibbert, Georgetown’s 7-foot-2 senior center. Hendrix finished with 17 points and nine boards and seemed to have a hand in nearly every Alabama possession. Hibbert also had nine rebounds to go with 14 points and four blocks.

Senior guard Mykal Riley, who totaled 15 points on the game, provided the Tide with a few clutch three-pointers. Three of his four second-half treys either tied the game or put Alabama ahead.

Four Hoyas tallied double figures on the game, led by Summers, who put up a game-high 18 points with nine rebounds.

From the backcourt, senior guard Jonathan Wallace and junior guard Jessie Sapp finished with 11 and 12 points, respectively.