Hoyas Remain Undefeated With Win and Tie

The winning streak may have ended, but the Hoyas are still undefeated.

The Georgetown women’s soccer team (4-0-1) continued their strong early-season play this weekend at the George Mason Tournament, winning 3-0 against the Mississippi State Bulldogs (2-3) and drawing goalless with the Hartford Hawks (2-2-2).

In Friday afternoon’s game against the Bulldogs, the Hoyas were led by an exceptional performance from junior forward Toni Marie Hudson. In the first half of play, an early goal attempt by Hudson narrowly missed the back of the net and bounced off the post. But Hudson connected in the 16th minute of the match when freshman midfielder Kelly D’Ambrisi blocked an attempt by the Bulldog defense to clear the ball out of their territory. Stopping the ball’s movement upfield with her chest, D’Ambrisi brought the ball back toward the Bulldog goal before dishing off to a charging Hudson, who found the back of the net to give the Hoyas an early 1-0 lead.

“I thought we played very well against Mississippi State and could’ve won the game by more than the score,” Head Coach Dave Nolan said. “I just feel that Friday was a good effort all over.”

The Hoya defense kept MSU goalless for the rest of the first half but struggled to take advantage of offensive opportunities of its own. Sophomore midfielder Caitlin Durkee missed on a free kick, and several other Hoya players had narrow misses at goal.

The Hoyas capitalized on an early corner kick in the second half, when Hudson again took control of the Georgetown offense and snatched the ball from a Bulldog defender, allowing sophomore defender Michaela Buonomo to take over and drive in the Hoyas’ second goal of the contest.

Only eight minutes later, Durkee took advantage of a long ball over the heads of the rest of the field, as she passed off the ball to Hudson, who connected again for her second goal of the day, giving the Hoyas a three-goal advantage over MSU.

The Bulldogs made a few attacks at the Hoya defense in the second half, but the Georgetown back line managed to keep Mississippi State off the scoreboard for the remainder of the game.

The Hoyas knew that their game against Hartford would be one of their toughest non-conference tests of their season, and the two teams proved to be well matched, as they held the each other goalless for two halves and two overtime periods.

Georgetown’s blank in the scoring column did not come from lack of opportunity. The Hoyas had offensive chances beginning early in the contest; in the first minute, Buonomo headed a corner kick from Durkee toward the goal but was denied by the Hartford goaltender. D’Ambrisi recovered the ball to make another attempt on goal, but the shot was again blocked.

Only 10 minutes later, freshman midfielder Samantha Baker challenged the goal again, but her shot flew wide of the goalposts. Durkee also missed two more goal opportunities during the first half, one of her attempts sailing over the Hawks’ goal and the other being stopped by the Hartford goalie.

In the start of the second half, senior midfielder Stephanie Zare’s early attempt on the Hawks’ goal was again too wide to find the net, and the trend continued for the rest of the half. Despite a handful of corner kick opportunities for the Hoyas, they could not get a goal onto the scoreboard. Durkee, Baker and freshman forward Camille Trujillo all had shots on goal denied by the Hawk defense, and Hudson could not to continue the domination of the first game of the tournament as she failed to capitalize on her own attempts at the Hartford goal.

Despite the Hoyas’ struggles on the offensive side of the field, the Georgetown defense remained solid; the Blue and Gray’s strong defensive performance pushes their scoreless streak up past 200 minutes, and sophomore goalie Jackie DesJardin recorded her second shutout in a row.

“I knew that Hartford was going to be a difficult team,” Nolan said. “They’re what we consider a counter-defending attacking team. They made it very difficult for us to play. They weren’t overly adventurous, but they were very well-organized.”

Following the tournament games, four Georgetown players – Hudson, Durkee, Buonomo and Zare – were named to the all-tournament team.

“Toni had a good game on Friday, scored some goals and looked dangerous, and Stephanie played very well on Friday,” Nolan said.

The Hoyas are back in action Friday on North Kehoe Field when Towson pays a visit. Kickoff is set for 3 p.m.