Hoyas Repeat at Capital Cup

There’s something special about being the best team in town, and, for the past five years, the best has been the Georgetown rugby team.

This weekend, Georgetown won its fifth consecutive Capital Cup championship, shutting out cross-town rivals George Washington University and Catholic University on their way to the title.

“Overall, the season was filled with ups and downs, but bringing home the Capital Cup makes all the work worth it,” injured sophomore captain-turned-coach Pat Pierce said.

The Hoyas faced George Washington in the first round of the tournament and came away with a 17-0 win. Sophomores Rory Boyle, Ben Kamarck and Dan Hartman each scored one try, and freshman Jake Ludwigson made one conversion.

In the final, Georgetown faced Catholic, who had beaten American University earlier in the day. They came away with another shutout, winning 18-0.

“Sophomores Dan Hartman and Ben Kamarck, both playing new positions this weekend, played awesome, as did freshman Greg Suellentrop,” Pierce said.

Suellentrop scored two tries in the match against Catholic, while Ludwigson made two penalty kicks and one conversion.

The match was Georgetown’s last of the 2002 spring season. They won the tournament last year on penalty kicks in overtime.

“The freshmen and sophomores have really stepped up this spring, but the heart of this team was its two seniors, captain Frank Tantillo and Abilash Jaikumar,” Pierce said.